Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
seaspear
Australia

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by seaspear »

From a perspective of supporting increased trade with partners in the Asia Pacific area currently under some measure of threat, by a large nation not recognising international sea borders, that is developing the second largest to date navy in the world showing the flag and providing some moral support can make sense.
But the U.K has to mindful that its navy has not had the resources put into it to confidently sail unchallenged in these waters by a larger navy

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Note to UK Government. Provide whatever is necessary to support an increased and regular UK presence in the Middle & Far East, AS WELL AS in the waters nearer to home! :mrgreen:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

It's another piece of the jigsaw coming together. I know it happens in every programme, but its a real shame that some of the other shore based infrastructure to support the QE's hasn't and won't go ahead (Ro-Ro ramps at Portsmouth for ease of re-provisioning, dry dock in Portsmouth etc.). It's not exactly spoiling a ship for a happorth of tar because these things weren't super cheap. I do wonder what has happened with the HV shore connectors and if there has ever been any plan to build a land based deck layout at Seahawk, like was created for the CVS. Looking at a satellite image you could probably rebuild the existing one and extend to QE size, not sure how much training value you'd get on top of the existing set up to justify it though.

Bring Deeps
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Bring Deeps »

It is an interesting point. Ideally you would have an algorithm that calculated the relevant value of each support structure taking into account cost and workarounds. Indeed, that could be useful for every military equipment program. Maybe Dominic Cummins could try to write one.

With flight deck training I am surprised that they haven't announced the use of a synthetic/simulator program to help. Not to replace practical physical training but to work out flight deck movements without damaging the very expensive real thing.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Bring Deeps wrote:With flight deck training I am surprised that they haven't announced the use of a synthetic/simulator program to help. Not to replace practical physical training but to work out flight deck movements without damaging the very expensive real thing.
There was/is a FLYCO and Bridge simulator, I suspect that has, or could be adapted to provide deck planning simulation. Whether it would add much is the real question. Obviously the large model of QE at Seahawk (Culdrose) helps with planning, but the real use was seen for the crews actually moving a/c (or in the case of F-35 water filled mockups) with all of the relevant equipment, noise and jet blast.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Bring Deeps wrote:It is an interesting point. Ideally you would have an algorithm that calculated the relevant value of each support structure taking into account cost and workarounds. Indeed, that could be useful for every military equipment program. Maybe Dominic Cummins could try to write one.

With flight deck training I am surprised that they haven't announced the use of a synthetic/simulator program to help. Not to replace practical physical training but to work out flight deck movements without damaging the very expensive real thing.
Quite a while back, at RNAS Culdrose, they were playing with 14 working Harriers and I believe they now use 4 full size mock up F35B's as well. This is prior to joining QNLZ or PWLS for deck handlers and training. I assume this is still happening.

From 2015 -
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... drose-jets

Found this Youtube video from 2017 -
https://youtu.be/7Q1xOD0oqiY

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Timmymagic wrote:There was/is a FLYCO and Bridge simulator
There's a QEC Bridge simulator at HMS Collingwood in Fareham, near Portsmouth.

There is also a multi-room FLYCO and F-35B cockpit simulator at BAE Systems (Warton) too.

(ForcesTV) 13th April 2017

(Royal Aeronautical Society) 20th April 2018

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

PhillyJ wrote:Quite a while back, at RNAS Culdrose, they were playing with 14 working Harriers and I believe they now use 4 full size mock up F35B's as well. This is prior to joining QNLZ or PWLS for deck handlers and training. I assume this is still happening.
Yes still ongoing. You can see the 4 F-35B, plus a couple of SHAR, Merlin and SeaKing on here, really does illustrate the size of F-35B in comparison to SHAR.
It would be really fascinating to see what other ideas were considered ashore to support the QE Class. Some of them have been built (The support centre at Portsmouth, Victory and Princess Royal jetty, HV cable connectors, HRAS demonstrator etc.), some are underway (Glen Mallan) and some will likely never see the light of day (dry dock in Portsmouth, Ro-Ro ramps). I wonder what else was considered and discarded, or never mentioned and not going ahead now. Did anyone ever consider remodelling the existing setup at Culdrose. Its not a unique facility, the USN has several LHD set ups to do the same and the Chinese built a rather spectacular multi story one in a town we all know and love...Wuhan.
Wuhan facility

Zero Gravitas
United Kingdom

Post by Zero Gravitas »

From today’s Times:

“ At a separate meeting hosted by hawkish MPs yesterday, the Japanese defence minister said Tokyo wanted to join Five Eyes. Kono Taro met Tom Tugendhat, chairman of the Commons foreign affairs committee, and the China Research Group. “The UK should work together with Japan on preserving a free and open Indo-Pacific,” he said. Following the revelation in The Times that UK military chiefs have drawn up options to base an aircraft carrier in the Far East, Mr Taro said: “We would welcome the HMS Queen Elizabeth.””

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

How would this impact relations with South Korea? that can be suspicious of Japan
perhaps this article clears up the confusion about the different "eyes"
https://www.vpnmentor.com/blog/understa ... s-concept/

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Click to enlarge:
(@GuyG_Boffin) 22 July 2020
PoW (left) at Princess Royal Jetty, with QE (right) at Victory Jetty

(@Cliffair1) 22 July 2020

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Please tell me the RN has actually bought those marquees....the rental on them so far would have bought them 20 times over...

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

I am just waiting for the “QEC Re-fitting” complex to be built .... that would be one hell of a building! :lol:

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Scimitar54 wrote:I am just waiting for the “QEC Re-fitting” complex to be built .... that would be one hell of a building!
The Devonshire Dock Building in Barrow is big...but you'd need something a little bigger. Meyer Werft's covered build yard in Papenburg would be a good starting point. What's incredible about it is not just the size, its is how far inland it is..its a good 70km to the sea.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/26871 ... 2678?hl=en

https://www.marineinsight.com/shipping- ... ding-dock/

I've actually stood next to the ship pictured in this, the AIDAnova, 185,000 tonnes, its bloody big...dimensions wise it looks like the QE would fit...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDAnova

But lets be honest..any cruise ship builder is feeling a little nervous at the moment...maybe we can buy the building when they go bust and ship it over...

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Went to Hamburg on a cruise ship once, that was a long way inland.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

SKB wrote:PoW (left) at Princess Royal Jetty, with QE (right) at Victory Jetty
Very priviliged to say that my Brother and I had an identical view as that yesterday afternoon as we took a trip in a Westland Wasp, ex RN XT787, from Winchester.

Flight included coming over Portsdown Hill, Fort Nelson, Portchester Castle and then through the Harbour, left at the Spinnaker Tower and along the sea front to Eastney/Fort Cumberland, then back along the coast to refuel at HMS Daedalus as was. Then another take off, back through the harbour and landing at Winchester. Best £300 I've donated in a long time.

My brother took all the pics and video as my freedom of movement was restricted in the front in case I touched anything that I shouldn't! Once he has sent me some of QNLZ and PWLS I'll drop them here, at the moment I only have the following.

This is us at Daedalus, as the Wasp is duel control and I sat in the front it was too much trouble to unhook and jump out so I'm still sat there, my older brother is on the far right and the pilot, Wg Cdr Terry Martin RAF (retd) also a trained doctor in the RAF, is in the middle.
WaspDaedalus.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

PhillyJ wrote:
Very priviliged to say that my Brother and I had an identical view as that yesterday afternoon as we took a trip in a Westland Wasp, ex RN XT787, from Winchester.

Flight included coming over Portsdown Hill, Fort Nelson, Portchester Castle and then through the Harbour, left at the Spinnaker Tower and along the sea front to Eastney/Fort Cumberland, then back along the coast to refuel at HMS Daedalus as was. Then another take off, back through the harbour and landing at Winchester. Best £300 I've donated in a long time.

My brother took all the pics and video as my freedom of movement was restricted in the front in case I touched anything that I shouldn't! Once he has sent me some of QNLZ and PWLS I'll drop them here, at the moment I only have the following.

This is us at Daedalus, as the Wasp is duel control and I sat in the front it was too much trouble to unhook and jump out so I'm still sat there, my older brother is on the far right and the pilot, Wg Cdr Terry Martin RAF (retd) also a trained doctor in the RAF, is in the middle.
WaspDaedalus.jpg
I use to work on that Wasp when it was based out of North Weald along with the Seafire 17 and two seat Seafury T20

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

PhillyJ wrote:

WaspDaedalus.jpg
£300? How? What a bargain!

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

dmereifield wrote:£300? How? What a bargain!
From Dr Martin's email that I was initially sent.

Want to Fly over Portsmouth Dockyard in XT787 ?
We have a unique opportunity on offer during this time when both the carriers, HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Prince of Wales, are in Portsmouth Harbour. You can experience the thrill of flying in a unique unsung hero of the Fleet Air Arm. The Westland Wasp fulfilled an essential anti-submarine and utility role for the Royal Navy between 1964 and 1988. You will be flying in a legend.
For a donation to the upkeep of historic Wasp XT787, you can fly over the Royal Navy's two capital warships and also see former flagships HMS Victory and HMS Warrior.
Wasp XT787 will be available for the first flights of the season from 16 July until 24 July 2020. If you would like to join us, email historicwasp@gmail.com for further details.
Spaces will be limited to a maximum of two per flight, conditions apply, and a short training session is required before flight.
Government recommendations on Covid-19 protection apply.
The CAA (Civil Aviation Association) regulates that I cannot charter the helicopter to carry fee-paying passengers, but it does allow me to fly passengers on a shared-costs basis.

I am personally prepared to cover the majority of the hourly cost. The following sums are therefore the minimum acceptable donation that will cover the cost-share of a one hour flight to the destination/area of your choice or the Portsmouth Harbour trip as advertised:

[PLEASE NOTE THAT DONATIONS FOR FLIGHTS OF LESS THAN ONE HOUR DURATION WILL BE SUGGESTED AT LOWER RATES ACCORDINGLY]

Rear seat, one passenger alone: £300
Rear seat, two passengers: £250 per person
Front seat, one passenger (dual controls) alone: £350
Front seat passenger plus one rear seat passenger: (front) £300 and (rear) £250

Sorry if this is a bit OT, but it does include a flight over the 2 QE class currently in port! Flights will start again in August once it's required maintenance check is carried out.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

SKB wrote:I'm pretty certain those two Portsmouth Harbour photos I posted were taken by an earlier (22nd July) Wasp trip than yours.
Looks like there is a wing tip in the first photo so I suspect it was a fixed wing.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

...which I also noticed after the comment, which I had deleted just before your reply. :mrgreen:

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Im sure people (myself included ) would donate a lot more if he was aloud to hover over the deck of a QEC whilst carrying passengers :D :clap:

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

PhillyJ wrote:

WaspDaedalus.jpg
O you lucky, lucky, effer!!!

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Thanks for the info PhillyJ. I'm in Pompey next week but looks like the timing won't work out. One for the future though, hopefully. Sorry for going off topic, slightly.