Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

SKB wrote:From videos I've been watching, you go up steps onto to the rear lift and in through the aft hangar doors, tour all the hangar exhibits (including a Chinook and Merlin), then exit out the forward hangar doors onto the forward lift and down steps to the jetty. There's no visiting the flight deck.
Having been on my “tour” today, I can confirm that is exactly it. Slightly disappointing but still very enjoyable nonetheless and I’m grateful for the opportunity.

Some pics:

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

DanBaton.jpg
Pic posted by my lad as he was being hit with batons all day long by kids! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

More baton action!

Beth
Site Admin
England

Post by Beth »

PhillyJ wrote:
DanBaton.jpg
Pic posted by my lad as he was being hit with batons all day long by kids! :lol:
Ha! This is great - must admit this is the one area we avoided as it was very loud (and very overrun by kids!)
For any general site or moderation queries, please feel free to PM me.
Help keep UK Defence Forum online

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Lord Jim wrote:She is such a handsome ship. To we have any timescales for when she will begin flight trials etc.?
According to this Merlin in the Autumn and F-35 in January 2021 off the East Coast of the US.

It also mentions that someone said PoW was 4 metres longer......and 3 knots faster than QE. I think they're taking the mickey now....mind you it does confirm a top speed of at least 32 knots as QE was on AIS at over 29 knots in trials...

https://www.naval-technology.com/news/h ... exclusive/

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Timmymagic wrote:mind you it does confirm a top speed of at least 32 knots as QE was on AIS at over 29 knots in trials...
The claims for the differences between the two are now getting pretty weird.

I’m a total layman. However it seems generally well accepted that for any given hullform you need an exponential increase in power for every extra knot of speed.
So (layman, remember) to increase speed by 3 knots you’d need 30-40-50% more power or a radically different hull.

That’s clearly BS. So the only thing I can think of that would explain this is full power trials carried out in totally different conditions.

And I find that difficult to buy also.

Weird.

Sunk at Narvik
United Kingdom

Post by Sunk at Narvik »

Hi- doesn't a longer hull confer greater speed without an increase in power? Just remembering transom hulls and stern flaps to trick the ship into thinking its got a longer hull...

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Sunk at Narvik wrote:Hi- doesn't a longer hull confer greater speed without an increase in power? Just remembering transom hulls and stern flaps to trick the ship into thinking its got a longer hull...
In general yes, but a 3-4 metre extension isn't going to get an additional 3 knots. Most of the measures like transom hulls or stern flaps tend to get 0.5/1 knot increases or a higher efficient cruise speed.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Forces TV) 2nd March 2020
More than 10,000 members of the public have been allowed on board Britain’s newest Queen Elizabeth-class aircraft carrier for the first time. HMS Prince of Wales arrived in Liverpool on Friday for a week-long visit.

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

From 44 secs in for about 4 secs I can just see my Lad's upper body all on his own by his GPMG! Daniel Johnson, made in Pompey, soaked in the RN :lol:

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Timmymagic wrote:
Sunk at Narvik wrote:Hi- doesn't a longer hull confer greater speed without an increase in power? Just remembering transom hulls and stern flaps to trick the ship into thinking its got a longer hull...
In general yes, but a 3-4 metre extension isn't going to get an additional 3 knots. Most of the measures like transom hulls or stern flaps tend to get 0.5/1 knot increases or a higher efficient cruise speed.
From what I vaguely remember, PoW spent less time in Rosyth basin than than QE. Not only was her total build time shorter, but she spent more of it in the dry dock before floating out into the basin. (I'm sure somebody can check this.)

So it is possible that PoW had a much cleaner bottom during her sea trials, compared to QE. That could account for some of the difference.

Favourable winds and sea currents could account for some of the rest. Especially for a crew eager to exploit them in order to beat a clear target set by their sister ship.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

@
Aethulwulf wrote:
QE First block (LB03) floated in on 29th August 2011.
QE Floated out (complete) on 17th July 2014.
QE Total time: 2 years, 10 months, 19 days (1054 days)

Rosyth Dock 1 empty 18th July 2014 - 8th September 2014 : 1 month, 22 days (53 days)

PoW First blocks (LB02 & LB03) floated in on 9th September 2014.
PoW Floated out (complete) on 21st December 2017.
PoW Total time: 3 years, 3 months, 13 days (1200 days)

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

SKB wrote:@
Aethulwulf wrote:
QE First block (LB03) floated in on 29th August 2011.
QE Floated out (complete) on 17th July 2014.
QE Total time: 2 years, 10 months, 19 days (1054 days)

Rosyth Dock 1 empty 18th July 2014 - 8th September 2014 : 1 month, 22 days (53 days)

PoW First blocks (LB02 & LB03) floated in on 9th September 2014.
PoW Floated out (complete) on 21st December 2017.
PoW Total time: 3 years, 3 months, 13 days (1200 days)
Queen Elizabeth was floated-out on 17 July 2014. On 26 June 2017, she left Rosyth for the first time to commence sea trials.

2 yrs, 11 months, 9 days in Rosyth basin

Prince of Wales was floated-out on 21 Dec 2017. On 20 Sept 2019, she left Rosyth for the first time to commence sea trials

1 year 8 months, 30 days in Rosyth basin.

So QE spent about 35.5 months floating in Rosyth basin, growing stuff on her hull, before leaving for sea trials.
PoW spent about 21 months floating in Rosyth basin before leaving for sea trials.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

A little bit of reading suggests that fouling may reduce a ships speed by up to five percent ,copper based anti fouling paint which is the more common practice to deter micro organisms are not as effective as the previous paints which were heavy polutatnts ,but government defence research bodies do a lot of work on paints for naval vessels that have benefits for the capabilities of ships not as obvious as guns but just as classified theres more to the paint on a ship than its colour perhaps someone on this forum can go into the details and capabilities of R.N paint lol

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

seaspear wrote:A little bit of reading suggests that fouling may reduce a ships speed by up to five percent ,copper based anti fouling paint which is the more common practice to deter micro organisms are not as effective as the previous paints which were heavy polutatnts ,but government defence research bodies do a lot of work on paints for naval vessels that have benefits for the capabilities of ships not as obvious as guns but just as classified theres more to the paint on a ship than its colour perhaps someone on this forum can go into the details and capabilities of R.N paint lol
Modern RN paints have pretty much eliminated this.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QE wind to bows north at PRJ tomorrow morning.
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsm ... 06/03/2020

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PWLS off soon, if the weather up there is like it is in Pompey at the moment it'll be a lot nicer than when she arrived. My nipper said that an F35B may make an appearance and do a flyby around 1600, but obviously this is subject to weather etcetc

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

PhillyJ wrote:My nipper said that an F35B may make an appearance and do a flyby around 1600, but obviously this is subject to weather etcetc
'officially' confirmed now. 8-)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Excellent picture posted by Phil:

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

just over 15 minutes to the fly past (weather permitting)

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

SDL wrote:just over 15 minutes to the fly past (weather permitting)
Just did a couple from what I've seen. It's on FB Liverpool Echo page.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

PhillyJ
England

Post by PhillyJ »

Letting off fireworks now, unless my lad has got a bit trigger happy!

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

Interesting, even the Yanks are considering 'downsizing' their Nuclear Carrier ambitions..

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/3 ... ers-report

Now at then end of the day I don't think they'll be able to bring themselves to take the leap and go for a CATOBAR QE class type carrier in the 70,000t range, vested interests & sheer national pride will stop them from doing so.

..But the fact they are even considering it, shows that their plan for a fleet of 10 Ford class CVN's is stretching even their finances to breaking point.