Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SDL
United Kingdom

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

Post by SDL »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(NavyLookout) 6th December 2019

(Shaun Roster) 6th December 2019

(Christopher Gardner) 5th December 2019

(Kay Hallsworth) 4th December 2019

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Is there any information on how many securing points there are on the deck ,is this any different to previous carriers?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

seaspear wrote:Is there any information on how many securing points there are on the deck ,is this any different to previous carriers?
Not seen any numbers but they're all over, even in areas where no aircraft can fit (to tie down deck equipment), you could probably calculate a rough number based on the area of the deck. No different to other carriers.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

So HMS POW is preparing for part 2 sea trials around February, maybe F35 flight trials late 2020 or early 2021?

First deployment of HMSQE is 2021, so is there any news on when HMS QE is leaving port before then ?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

seaspear wrote:Is there any information on how many securing points there are on the deck ,is this any different to previous carriers?
Can't answer your question but I do know they were specially designed for the CVFs. There was a paper presented about them to RINA. When I have a few minutes I'll dig it out and post anything of interest.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

I was curious on the mount of these points providing a guide to how many places for aircraft to be secured provides an idea on how many aircraft the R.N has guidelines to carry on its upper deck ,certainly rotary aircraft would be included but previously the R.N was stated to be different to the U.S.N would keep aircraft below deck is this a change ? would there also be many other types of equipment or cargo that may be secured to the deck as well . who knows perhaps an A.D.L can be secured up front near the ramp lol

RAF>FAN

Post by RAF>FAN »

[quote="SKB"]Image
(NavyLookout) 6th December 2019

They look very vulnerable. Where are the torpedo nets :D :lol: :roll:

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

First deployment of HMSQE is 2021, so is there any news on when HMS QE is leaving port before then ?
It will deploy in home waters at least a couple of times in 2020, for more rotary wing trials (LPH role) and then for pre-deployment workup with the Strike Group and F-35s, including USMC ones.
When exactly, i don't know.

Joint Warrior 20 might be part of it...?
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

If you’re anywhere near the dockyard today then you’re in for a treat...

inch

Post by inch »

Would have thought they would have done a bit of joined up thinking there and launched f35 tomorrow when TV cameras and hmsplws being commissioned with press there also ,well done nowt like prior preparation and planning lol

CameronPerson
United Kingdom

Post by CameronPerson »

inch wrote:Would have thought they would have done a bit of joined up thinking there and launched f35 tomorrow when TV cameras and hmsplws being commissioned with press there also ,well done nowt like prior preparation and planning lol
Scrap original tweet, not launching the jet today after all.. who knows PWLS might get a closer than usual fly past tomorrow

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(WarshipTV) 8th December 2019

QE and PoW as seen from the Gosport Ferry.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

inch

Post by inch »

Are we expecting zero to miniscule coverage by the TV news channels tomorrow , A five second passing comment on a regional page maybe ?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

SKB wrote:
The mere fact that they are asked about seeing a F-35 on QE in Portsmouth speaks volumes...
:problem:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Ian Maw) 9th December 2019

PoW and QE as seen from a Portsmouth Harbour tour boat. 4K, best watched full-screen.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Prince of Wales Commissioning Ceremony - LIVE

1:17:17 - Lady Sponsor (HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall) speech
1:21:30 - CO Captain Darren Huston RN, reads ship's official Commissioning Warrant.
1:26:00 - Cutting the Commissioning Cake. (PoW has FOUR cakes!)

From RN:
HMS Prince of Wales has been commissioned into the Fleet today as the largest warship ever built for the nation.

HRH The Duchess of Cornwall, as the ship’s Lady Sponsor, alongside HRH The Prince of Wales, presided over the ceremony at HM Naval Base Portsmouth this morning, to an audience of 2,000 from industry, allies, friends and families.

Commanding Officer, Captain Darren Houston, read the commissioning warrant to the crew and guests gathered in the hangar which will soon house F-35 jets and a variety of helicopters. Among those watching were the First Sea Lord, Admiral Tony Radakin, ambassadors from France and USA, and the commander of the US Sixth Fleet, Vice Admiral Lisa Franchetti.

The iconic White Ensign then replaced the Blue Ensign which has flown since she left Rosyth in September for her initial sea trials. Leading Writer Megan Ryan (27, from Stoke-On-Trent) was granted the honour of raising the new ensign; and youngest sailor, Chef Seth Day (17), cut the commissioning cake with Liesl Houston, the Commanding Officer’s wife.

As we lower the Blue Ensign and raise the White Ensign, this day marks the culmination of over a decade of work by the country’s maritime and ship-building industry who have come together with the Ministry of Defence to deliver this magnificent ship through the Aircraft Carrier Alliance”.

“The men and women of my Ship’s Company have demonstrated significant flexibility, patience and resilience. However, I also want to recognise the wider naval family for their support of our achievements, and I am so pleased that so many of our families and loved ones are able to share this special day with us.”
said Captain Houston.

About 550 VIP guests, 1,400 family and friends of the ship’s company, including guests with connections to the previous HMS Prince of Wales, a battleship sunk on that same date 78 years earlier by Japanese forces in the South China Sea, joined the crew for the ceremony.

Leading Writer Ryan said: “I am lucky enough to have been involved in the commissioning of three ships, but this is the one I will always look back on with exceptional pride. Raising the White Ensign for the first time on HMS Prince of Wales is such a privilege that I will never forget.”

Nearly 7,000 miles away, the crew of HMS Enterprise stopped at the final resting place of HMS Prince of Wales and HMS Repulse last week to hold a memorial service and lower a White Ensign to the remains.

For the whole crew, from the chefs making the cakes to the warrant officers perfecting the drills, there has been a sense of pride in preparing the ship and themselves for this day.

AET Patrick Gauson (30, from Edinburgh) said: “Having been present at HMS Queen Elizabeth’s commissioning, to be involved in HMS Prince of Wales’ as well is an immense honour and privilege. It’s another day in my career that I can look back on with great pride and a sense of achievement.”

AET Sam Ward (21, from York) said: “To be part of such an important day in the ship’s history gives me great pride and it will definitely be an interesting story to regale to the grandkids one day.”

HMS Prince of Wales, which by naval tradition will be referred to in the feminine form despite carrying the title of the male heir apparent, is marginally larger and heavier than her sister.

The carrier is powered by four diesel engines and two gas turbines, run by the 170-strong marine engineering department. They are part of a core ship’s company of about 700 which can swell to more than double that with the addition of personnel from Naval Air Squadrons and Royal Marines.

She departed Rosyth in September and conducted her first sea trials before making her first entry to Portsmouth harbour in mid-November.

More than 10,000 people across the UK have contributed to the delivery of the ship as part of the Aircraft Carrier Alliance, building on the experience they gained in constructing and operating HMS Queen Elizabeth.

HMS Queen Elizabeth has recently returned from her second deployment to the east coast of North America conducting aviation trials with UK F-35 jets and developing her warfighting capabilities. Both carriers are alongside in Portsmouth for routine maintenance and well-earned Christmas leave for their crews before resuming their programmes to reach operational capability.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

:clap:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(PortsHistDockyard) 10th December 2019
HMS Prince of Wales is being commissioned into the Royal Navy today. Watch live as the White Ensign is raised for the very first time!
Skip to 05:40

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

SKB wrote:
I daresay we have real budgetary issues with the Royal Navy.

That is either the same cake from QE's commissioning ceremony and they've been keeping the leftovers in a fridge somewhere (conveniently losing the pennant number and shield on the aft island)....

Or else the cake budget can only stretch to half a carrier.... :shock:

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Jensy wrote:
QE's cake:

Not the same as the PoW one