Astute Class Attack Submarine (SSN) (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
abc123
United Kingdom

Re: Astute Class Attack Submarine (SSN) (RN)

Post by abc123 »

No SSNs at sea
On Friday 10th the Sun published an exclusive claiming all of the RNs attack submarines were inoperable. It would seem there is a grain of truth in this, all 7 boats were in Faslane or Devonport, at least for a time. This is unusual with at least two SSNs typically at sea at one time. The commitment to keeping a ‘duty Tomahawk boat’ stationed East of Suez has clearly had to be abandoned. With Russian submarines operating with increasing tempo near to UK waters, having no SSNs at sea is very serious, not least for the protection of the nuclear deterrent submarine. However informed naval sources state that, while not desirable, this is a short-term blip in the maintenance cycle and more usual patrol patterns with resume in the near future. Although rather more significant, the situation is akin to the storm that erupted last summer when all six Type 45s were alongside in Portsmouth .

Conclusion
Let us not pretend everything is fine. The RN’s SSN force is far too small and fragile. The legacy of flawed government policy, funding cuts, industry cock-ups and MoD mismanagement going back more than two decades is being felt on the frontline. There is a small army of politicians and Civil Servants who should be on trial for the gross negligence that has created this mess. With their hands tied by circumstances beyond their control, those serving today (and many of the civilian workers in the supporting infrastructure) should be commended for continuing to get submarines to sea. RN submariners retain an outstanding reputation for skill and aggression and the service does not compromise on nuclear safety. While it is obviously not quite business as usual, we can look forward to Trafalgar class submarines at sea again soon and their eventual replacement with the outstanding Astute class.

http://www.savetheroyalnavy.org/rn-atta ... -a-crisis/
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

£1.4 billion deal for Royal Navy’s new attack submarine

The MOD has negotiated a new £1.4 billion contract for the Royal Navy’s new attack submarine, the sixth in a total fleet of seven, which will protect the UK’s new aircraft carriers and nuclear deterrent.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/14-b ... -submarine

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Pymes75 wrote:£1.4 billion deal for Royal Navy’s new attack submarine

The MOD has negotiated a new £1.4 billion contract for the Royal Navy’s new attack submarine, the sixth in a total fleet of seven, which will protect the UK’s new aircraft carriers and nuclear deterrent.

Just to clarify, is the total cost of the 6th Astute £1.4 billion?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

dmereifield wrote:
Pymes75 wrote:£1.4 billion deal for Royal Navy’s new attack submarine

Just to clarify, is the total cost of the 6th Astute £1.4 billion?

Yes, considering that she is half finished, I too wonder why signing that 1,4 billions contract now, and not in 2012?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

abc123 wrote:Yes, considering that she is half finished, I too wonder why signing that 1,4 billions contract now, and not in 2012?
I think there was an initial £300m contract for long-lead items and initial work on the reactor and pressure compartments. This is the contract for the "completion".
A mildly interesting item - a small company that I have a modest investment in has just won a contract "for the provision of up to 8 Combined Oxygen Generating Systems ('COGS') and additional ancillary items to upgrade in-service Royal Navy submarines". Slightly puzzling as we are already half-way through the SSK build schedule
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Caribbean wrote:
abc123 wrote:Yes, considering that she is half finished, I too wonder why signing that 1,4 billions contract now, and not in 2012?
I think there was an initial £300m contract for long-lead items and initial work on the reactor and pressure compartments. This is the contract for the "completion".
A mildly interesting item - a small company that I have a modest investment in has just won a contract "for the provision of up to 8 Combined Oxygen Generating Systems ('COGS') and additional ancillary items to upgrade in-service Royal Navy submarines". Slightly puzzling as we are already half-way through the SSK build schedule
So the total cost of boat 6 is £1.7 billion? I thought they were supposed to be coming in at around 1 billion now? Does anyone know how much boat 7 is likely to cost?

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

There's a table somewhere on Wiki with the estimates for each boat - I think 5 and 6 are around the £1.45 bill each. I think the £300m was split with at least one other boat
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

Caribbean wrote:
SSN. Not SSK.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

@Tinman - oops, yes indeed - meant to say SSN
Winston Churchill

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Shame, I thought we we're buying a fleet of SSK's to protect the Cayman Islands but we just hadn't been told about it over here.
@LandSharkUK

wirralpete
United Kingdom

Post by wirralpete »

Audacious roll out from Devonshire Dock Hall

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/news/barrow/Ea ... 8386d44b07

Question for anyone - How long does it take for a boat to go from roll out to 1. sea trials then 2. acceptance into the fleet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

wirralpete wrote:How long does it take for a boat to go from roll out to 1. sea trials then 2. acceptance into the fleet?
Going by Artful, about a year to 1. (from 1. to 2. Well, it depends):
"Artful is expected to be rolled out of the shipyard construction hall early next year [2014] and is due to start sea trials in early 2015"
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Digger22
England

Post by Digger22 »

Any word on Ambush repair?

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

wirralpete wrote: Question for anyone - How long does it take for a boat to go from roll out to 1. sea trials then 2. acceptance into the fleet?
Hey Pete,

Thanks for the link. See Note (b) of my Astute webpage for the previous Naming, First Dive, Sea Trials, Delivery and Commissioning dates:

http://www.pymes75.plus.com/military/astute.htm

Hope this helps.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

First (or two) of class do not follow any rules (ironing out niggles is an erratic business), but I just wonder how the £300m used on upgrading the facilities in Barrow could potentially impact the schedule towards the end of the Astutes run?
- the hall can now hold 3 of them in parallel construction (but obviously at different stages relative to each other)
- aren't the boomers bigger; parallelism could go down when the activity shifts over to that class

What a coincidence, btw, that when Rand was asked to look at how the cost of the carriers could be minimised Rand came to the conclusion that 37% parallelism would deliver the lowest total construction cost
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Old RN
South Africa

Post by Old RN »

Those flank sonar arrays are massive!

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

excellent to see, that is the sight of real naval power right there.
@LandSharkUK

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

Launch footage is a little reminiscent of Tracy Island.

WhiteWhale
Somalia

Post by WhiteWhale »

I like how they are happy to show off every single bit of the Astute class design but the prop? NOPE.

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

I think Audacious is the first to incorporate changes and improvements over the first batch of 3 boats? Can anyone confirm and say what is different?

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The BAE built sub can now dive in warm water. :twisted:

Pymes75
United Kingdom

Post by Pymes75 »

sea_eagle wrote:I think Audacious is the first to incorporate changes and improvements over the first batch of 3 boats? Can anyone confirm and say what is different?
She has a new Platform Management System provided by Northrup Grumman Sperry Marine. It uses COTS technology and utilises "Open Architecture" (which is most likely an ethernet and IP-based network).

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Pymes75 wrote:uses COTS technology and utilises "Open Architecture" (which is most likely an ethernet and IP-based network).
What ? :shock: No more Windows for Submarines (except on most boats).
- never fear, the T45s run on it (a different version... both based on W2000?)