Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN)

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I agree with the above as it would up the capability against a swarm attack (even though individually each new missile, even if it were a CAMM/ SeaCeptor, would be less capable than an Aster).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The Aster 30 Block 1 NT (New Technology) is not yet in development, and the UK does not seem to want to join, anyway. It seems to be a France - Italy try, if it progresses. Even if it goes ahead, its ABM capability is intended to be relatively limited, and useable against medium range ballistic threats only.

Aster Block 2 is even more of a shot in the dark which might or might not come around sometime.

The MOD has conducted a study on SM-3 integration on Type 45 (via fitting MK41 in the growth space), and it would probably be most desirable to go this way, if any ABM way at all.

We should hear more about the state of Type 45 radar and ABM mission system capability, since in October this year there is an ABM event planned, alongside the US Navy, in the Hebrides. It should involve a Type 45 with an upgraded ABM mission software load which enables simultaneous AAW and ABM. The software load trialed in the Pacific in 2013 on HMS Daring required the AAW functionality to be switched off to focus on ABM only.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:I agree with the above as it would up the capability against a swarm attack (even though individually each new missile, even if it were a CAMM/ SeaCeptor, would be less capable than an Aster).
I wonder if it would be feasible to mount CAMM atop the hangar and fill the 48-cell vls with Aster 30, rather than quad packing CAMM.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

...how would it go on top of the hanger, may I ask?

WhitestElephant
United Kingdom

Post by WhitestElephant »

RetroSicotte wrote:...how would it go on top of the hanger, may I ask?
I don't know anything about these sorts of things, really just thinking out load. But I was thinking of something modular perhaps.

How much space do we have aft of the bridge, doesn't have to be the hangar.
Though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. - Lord Tennyson (Ulysses)

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

I like the suggestion from WhitestEephant. The CAMM system as planned for the Type 26 has a silo of 24 missiles located aft. Since CAMM is a cold launched system, unlike Aster & Mk41, there are no hot gases produced and no exhaust vents required.

The CAMM system launches the missile about 100ft into the air angled so as to clear the ship and then the turbo on the missile lights up. It is a very simple system and much smaller than the Aster. I don't see any reason why the T45 couldn't fit 24 somewhere aft.

I just don't think it will be a priority item when there isn't enough money to go around.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

If you look at the second to last and third to last photos here

http://www.seaforces.org/wpnsys/SURFACE ... uncher.htm

the Netherlands and Chile have pretty much acted along those lines. OK, the VLS are to the sides of the hangar, not on top of it, but pretty close.

Now, an even better idea (??) is to eliminate the helo function altogether (T45s are not premium ASW ships by any measure) and make space in the aft for some "propper" land-attack VLS tubes.
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

sea_eagle wrote:
I like the suggestion from WhitestEephant. The CAMM system as planned for the Type 26 has a silo of 24 missiles located aft. Since CAMM is a cold launched system, unlike Aster & Mk41, there are no hot gases produced and no exhaust vents required.

The CAMM system launches the missile about 100ft into the air angled so as to clear the ship and then the turbo on the missile lights up. It is a very simple system and much smaller than the Aster. I don't see any reason why the T45 couldn't fit 24 somewhere aft.

I just don't think it will be a priority item when there isn't enough money to go around.
The issue is those missiles still have to go somewhere and have a vertical impact of deck penetrating manners. Cold launch or not, there's no room at the top of the hanger for that. Look at the Italian Horizons tgo see the hull shenanigans you need to even fit a small(ish) gun up there.

I have had a good walk around a Type 45 to my pleasure once, and I can't think of anywhere else they could go on the design.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

Gabriele wrote:The Aster 30 Block 1 NT (New Technology) is not yet in development, and the UK does not seem to want to join, anyway. It seems to be a France - Italy try, if it progresses. Even if it goes ahead, its ABM capability is intended to be relatively limited, and useable against medium range ballistic threats only.

Aster Block 2 is even more of a shot in the dark which might or might not come around sometime.

The MOD has conducted a study on SM-3 integration on Type 45 (via fitting MK41 in the growth space), and it would probably be most desirable to go this way, if any ABM way at all.

We should hear more about the state of Type 45 radar and ABM mission system capability, since in October this year there is an ABM event planned, alongside the US Navy, in the Hebrides. It should involve a Type 45 with an upgraded ABM mission software load which enables simultaneous AAW and ABM. The software load trialed in the Pacific in 2013 on HMS Daring required the AAW functionality to be switched off to focus on ABM only.
This upgrade is it like the upgrade the Japanese navy had to its functionality so the ship could defend itself against conventional missiles as at the same time ABM

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

It has been looked, the hangar roof is stressed as a future 'growth enabled space'. 1 company to my knowledge has 2 designs. 1 a retractable navalised army mount with 2 x 12 fire units and the other a 2x 36 parallell vls array. Some intransigence on behalf of BAe to offer a team to liase slowed things into budgetary hell and so it is shelved.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

For some time the Daring class has been claimed as the best air warfare destroyer ,but there have not been any announced developments of this ships ability in this regard ,the U.S.N has proposed installing amdr to its flight 11 Arleigh Burkes giving it a substantive increase in its air warfare capability and potential for its use as electronic jamming against opponents the same way the F35 can .

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Image HMS Daring (D32)
Image HMS Dauntless (D33)
Image HMS Diamond (D34)
Image HMS Dragon (D35)
Image HMS Defender (D36)
Image HMS Duncan (D37)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Image :shock:
^ Image by Chris Gunns
^Image by Trevor Carpenter

'HMS Portsdown Hill', Portsmouth. Permanantly 110m above sea level! :mrgreen:

Its actually called the MISC, the Maritime Integration and Support Centre. Built by BAE on land leased from Qinetiq near Fort Southwick, Portsdown Hill to test and trial the command and control systems of the T45 before the ships were built. Regarded by locals as 'a bit of an eyesore' ;)

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Could they move that facility "down south" ?

I'm sure it would be of great use on a certain island in the South Atlantic.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Dahedd wrote:Could they move that facility "down south" ?

I'm sure it would be of great use on a certain island in the South Atlantic.
I'm sure it would , shame we only have one spare tbh , I wonder if the facility could be used as a back up air traffic control centre in an emergency ? Maybe that's a silly question my apologies in advance lol

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

I think we will rather see a couple of these AMB radars down there, instead:
http://saab.com/region/saab-australia/a ... mb-radars/

arfah
Niue

Re: Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Tbf I was also thinking we could have multiples for UK defence. Up in Shetland, outer Hebrides, RAF Buchanan old site beside Peterhead, coastal n/ireland, Scily Isles etc. Static Aster 45 positions as well.

It would never happen & I guess ground based air defences are a sitting duck for cruise missiles.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

HMS Duncan trialing the new Wildcat

The Armchair Soldier
Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by The Armchair Soldier »

No Type 45 involved in the At Sea Demonstration ABM exercise currently taking place - what a wasted opportunity:

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:No Type 45 involved in the At Sea Demonstration ABM exercise currently taking place - what a wasted opportunity:

HMS Dauntless was supposed to take part. If it hasn't, we have to assume it is broken. Again.

It was supposed to test a new software load building on that used by HMS Daring in 2013 in the Pacific. Back then, tracking a ballistic target required shutting down the AAW capability. Today was meant to demonstrate simultaneous AAW and BMD tracking.

IF, and i repeat IF, no Type 45 made it to the exercise, it is a major failure.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

Hate to break this to you guys but there is T45 beam on in the main frame of the post but not in the line astern view :roll:

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Is that not a Horizon-class frigate?

Can't see a gun on the front, and the exhaust stack looks a little strange.
@LandSharkUK

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

jimthelad wrote:Hate to break this to you guys but there is T45 beam on in the main frame of the post but not in the line astern view :roll:
Nope, no Type 45 in sight anywhere. The one you are seeing is the Horizon-class "Andrea Doria" of the italian navy. Somewhat similar, but if you look closely you'll easily spot the differences... starting with the absence of the MK8 gun turret.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.

Lugzy
Mongolia

Post by Lugzy »

Bit of a mystery tbh , it seems forces Tv are reporting today that HMS Dauntless was taking part in the exercise but according to the Royal Navy hms Dauntless is still along side in Portsmouth , plus there's a nice video covering the ships involved in the bmd exercise on the link below , it only shows 7 ships instead of the 8 reportedly taking part no type 45 to be seen , and your right gab / shark it's a Italian navy horizon class in the picture , ;)

http://forces.tv/22099952