Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
SKB
England

Re: Type 45 Destroyer (Daring Class) (RN)

Post by SKB »

HMS Dragon roars again

VIDEO: http://forces.tv/68791850

(RN/MOD)
A colourful ceremony to mark HMS Dragon’s return to the front line took place in Portsmouth on Friday 8 July.

The Type 45 destroyer has been out of action for a year while she’s undergone a major upgrade.

Dragon was rededicated in a ceremony at Portsmouth Naval Base in front of hundreds of guests including friends and families and members of the ship’s affiliate organisations.

Improvements to the ship – carried out by BAE Systems - have included upgrades to weapons, IT, communications and marine engineering systems. Her huge rudders have also been overhauled.

HMS Dragon also has a fresh coat of paint and her popular 12-ft tall decorative red Welsh dragons on her bow have been reapplied.

Two Typhoon aircraft from the ship’s affiliate RAF unit – 11 Squadron – performed a flypast to mark the start of the ceremony.

Principal guest was Susie Boissier – the ship’s sponsor who launched the vessel on the Clyde in 2008.

Her Commanding Officer, Captain Craig Wood, said, “An upgraded and more capable HMS Dragon has emerged from the upkeep period - the result of a tremendous amount of work from across the Portsmouth enterprise.

"My sailors and I are rightfully proud of her return to the fleet and welcomed the opportunity to celebrate this fantastic occasion with Dragon’s sponsor, Mrs Boissier, our families and friends.“

The hour-long event was rounded off in traditional style when Mrs Boissier cut a special cake with a sword with the youngest member of the ship’s company - 18-year-old Able Seaman Nathan Levers.

Dragon will now undergo a series of intensive sea trials in UK waters to prepare for her third overseas deployment.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

marktigger wrote:merlin is reuseable ASROC isn't it carried 4 torpedos to ASROC's 1, Merlin can hunt independently ASROC needs a ship.
Yes. Another items showing Merlin and ASROC are of different class. Again I stress the "duplication" of ASROC vs Merlin is much LESS than those on SeaCeptor vs CIWS.

I think the fact is that RN is simply not adopting a tactics to use ASROC in ASW, similar to losing ship launched torpedo in T26. Also similarly CVF do not have SAM but USN CVs has ESSM and/or RAM, in addition to CIWSs.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

@SKB Really cool. Thanks for sharing.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:
marktigger wrote:merlin is reuseable ASROC isn't it carried 4 torpedos to ASROC's 1, Merlin can hunt independently ASROC needs a ship.
Yes. Another items showing Merlin and ASROC are of different class. Again I stress the "duplication" of ASROC vs Merlin is much LESS than those on SeaCeptor vs CIWS.

I think the fact is that RN is simply not adopting a tactics to use ASROC in ASW, similar to losing ship launched torpedo in T26. Also similarly CVF do not have SAM but USN CVs has ESSM and/or RAM, in addition to CIWSs.
we may follow suit and fit sea ceptor when there is money to spare

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

http://navaltoday.com/2016/07/19/bae-sy ... avy-ships/

Fault warning system on the T45. Not really going to be needed is it? Nah.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

Any word on when the engine issues are to be sorted out?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

question all this networking how secure is it?

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Thanks. So it is the 1st sea loads official comment.

So the debated Rolls-Roys's comment about "A representative of engine manufacturers Rolls-Royce told the committee last month that the conditions in the Gulf were “far more arduous” than the specifications detailed by the MoD in its contract." was confirmed, look like.

1st SL : “We found the resilience of the diesel generators and WR21s wasn’t degrading gracefully, it was degrading catastrophically, so that is what we have had to address.”
"...to design a ship that can operate in all conditions and all times of the year in all places would be an extremely poor value-for-money thing to do and therefore we have accepted we won’t be able to operate all the time in every place on every day of the year."

So, when in hottest weather, T45 will be out of operation. Interestingly, even after the larger diesel engine added, it is not clearly stated that the situation will change. At least, I read that I will not, because surely 280MGBP is not "too expensive".

Not bad, I guess. Many surface combatant cannot work in hottest weather in the gulf. Nor on the Arctic region. Just adding a small operational restriction.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I was amused by the comment from the MoD lady that the ships were effectively out of warranty and that is why industry would not have to pay.

They really need to coordinate their "everything is rosy at the MoD" stories because the last one said that the then Minister of Defense Hoon had accepted all risk on the WR21's because he over ruled the prime contractor who said they would be a bad idea.

Cue MoD apologist to tell us what really happened behind the scenes :-)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

Does BAE sell extended warranties on T45's (and Astutes!) then?! ;)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/entire- ... ign=social

hmmmm I wonder if its as bad as the article is painting

shotleylad
United Kingdom

Post by shotleylad »

Four of the Type 45 destroyers have been at sea this week.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

Ron5 wrote:I was amused by the comment from the MoD lady that the ships were effectively out of warranty and that is why industry would not have to pay.

They really need to coordinate their "everything is rosy at the MoD" stories because the last one said that the then Minister of Defense Hoon had accepted all risk on the WR21's because he over ruled the prime contractor who said they would be a bad idea.

At the select Committee meeting BaE pointed out working in the extreems of climate wasn't in the specification.......so in contract terms not in the spec buyers problem, basically poor specification and contracting by MoD PE

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

marktigger wrote:
Ron5 wrote:I was amused by the comment from the MoD lady that the ships were effectively out of warranty and that is why industry would not have to pay.

At the select Committee meeting BaE pointed out working in the extreems of climate wasn't in the specification.......so in contract terms not in the spec buyers problem, basically poor specification and contracting by MoD PE
That's red herring. The T45 has failed in all temperatures. First time was in the North Atlantic. Not long ago, off the coast of Wales.

The reason the MoD pays is because they took on the risk when they selected the WR21. The MoD caused the mess so they get to pay to fix it. Or rather you, the UK tax payer gets to pay for it. Minister Hoon who made the decision will suffer no consequences whatsoever. Neither will any MoD staff.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

i still don't think that lets BaE fully of the hook yes the customer chose the WR21 they BaE should have made it work and as reliably

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote:The reason the MoD pays is because they took on the risk when they selected the WR21. The MoD caused the mess so they get to pay to fix it. Or rather you, the UK tax payer gets to pay for it. Minister Hoon who made the decision will suffer no consequences whatsoever. Neither will any MoD staff.
Is the last sentence a reference to the so-called Electric Ship Mafia (a very distant relative of the Fighter Mafia within the USAF)?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:s the last sentence a reference to the so-called Electric Ship Mafia (a very distant relative of the Fighter Mafia within the USAF)?

Or the ASW mafia on here everything has to have a tail

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

marktigger wrote:i still don't think that lets BaE fully of the hook yes the customer chose the WR21 they BaE should have made it work and as reliably
I think you mean Rolls Royce, they had the contract for the WR21. Anyhow, it's been admitted that running the engine for longer in the shore establishment (the only place the engine was ever run before its selection) would have uncovered some of the problems but the MoD nixxed that and cut the funding.

arfah
Niue

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Don't know if you can all read this but here goes anyway ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/07 ... y-engines/

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

The Type 45 is the most advanced BMD platform in the world ??????

Give me a break. Pinocchio George is getting a great run for his money from the Pinocchio MoD.

When will the lying stop?

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Ron5 wrote:

Give me a break. Pinocchio George is getting a great run for his money from the Pinocchio MoD.

every politician the world over say's that line, you should hear what our lot say about AWD :lol: :lol:

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

Ron5 wrote:

You really are starting to become a troll.

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Don't know if its been asked and I've missed it but, can they replace the engine - if they wanted to swop the WR21's for MT30's - is that physical possibility? Thinking more of a future upgrade sort of thing rather than fixing current problems.