UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

River Class (OPV) (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
User avatar
shark bait
Senior Member
Posts: 5446
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:18
Location: Pitcairn Island

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby shark bait » 02 Nov 2018, 08:57

A Coast Guard with enforcement powers sounds like it could only be a good thing for the Caribbean territories. If it increases the self sufficiency and security of the islands, whilst reducing the load on the RN it sounds like a no brainier.

I'm sure cost may be prohibitive, so it's great news if the foreign office can now contribute.

A couple of patrol boats and a shallow draft cargo cargo ship could provide a great service in the region. (Time to head to the Damen website, its great for building a fantasy fleet!)
@LandSharkUK

Keithdwat579
Member
Posts: 18
Joined: 14 May 2018, 22:06
Location: Niue

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Keithdwat579 » 02 Nov 2018, 12:21

Ive always thought a British Caribbean Coast Guard was a good idea, Ive always wondered why the RNLI wasn't in any of the BOTs anyway(can anyone explain?). Because there is a lot of smuggling, piracy etc, as well as SAR and HADR, it will probably need to be a mixture of blue water OPVs and small fast interceptors and ribs, an air wing will also be required some how(is there an SAR air wing already?).

User avatar
RichardIC
Member
Posts: 381
Joined: 10 May 2015, 16:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby RichardIC » 02 Nov 2018, 13:03

Keithdwat579 wrote:Ive always thought a British Caribbean Coast Guard was a good idea, Ive always wondered why the RNLI wasn't in any of the BOTs anyway(can anyone explain?). Because there is a lot of smuggling, piracy etc, as well as SAR and HADR, it will probably need to be a mixture of blue water OPVs and small fast interceptors and ribs, an air wing will also be required some how(is there an SAR air wing already?).


The British Territories in the Caribbean have an overall population about the size of High Wycombe. How are they meant to resource all that lot?

User avatar
ArmChairCivvy
Senior Member
Posts: 8844
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:34
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby ArmChairCivvy » 02 Nov 2018, 14:38

Keithdwat579 wrote:wondered why the RNLI wasn't in any of the BOTs anyway(can anyone explain?)


Answered already, but have you ever seen that box where you can put in (the charitable) pennies?
- ie. the charity is mainly paid for by 'pub-goers' - esp. in communities by the coast. From where the people doing it - on their own, unpaid time - come from.

User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 4892
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby SKB » 03 Nov 2018, 13:54

HMS Mersey (P283) is in dry dock in Falmouth.
Image
Image
Image
Image

Online
Ron5
Senior Member
Posts: 3308
Joined: 05 May 2015, 21:42
Location: United States of America

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Ron5 » 03 Nov 2018, 16:39

You can see how effective the new paints are at minimizing marine growth.

User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 4892
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby SKB » 10 Nov 2018, 10:47


User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 4892
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby SKB » 10 Nov 2018, 10:50

Image
HMS Mersey's props removed for cleaning

donald_of_tokyo
Senior Member
Posts: 2642
Joined: 06 May 2015, 13:18
Location: Japan

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby donald_of_tokyo » 10 Nov 2018, 11:03

HMS Medwey P-223 now in sea trials. First night ended.

User avatar
Jensy
Member
Posts: 34
Joined: 05 Aug 2016, 19:44
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Jensy » 22 Nov 2018, 15:32



Interesting development, though not sure it's something to get ecstatic about with the tightness of the budget.

I wonder if this will see the early paying off of some T23 GPs?

Jensy

EDIT: Notice that HMS Clyde goes unmentioned. Presumably to be returned to BAE at end of lease.

donald_of_tokyo
Senior Member
Posts: 2642
Joined: 06 May 2015, 13:18
Location: Japan

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby donald_of_tokyo » 22 Nov 2018, 15:49

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson said the Batch 1 Offshore Patrols Vessels (OPVs) will be retained for at least the next two years in a move the Ministry of Defence said would “bolster the UK’s ability to protect our fishing fleet as well as our shores”.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk- ... rotection/

So it is at least "for a moment" = 2 years, whilst it is good news.

Tempest414
Member
Posts: 801
Joined: 04 Jan 2018, 23:39
Location: France

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Tempest414 » 22 Nov 2018, 16:56

maybe they have found more problems with the batch 2s and need to cover them off

User avatar
RichardIC
Member
Posts: 381
Joined: 10 May 2015, 16:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby RichardIC » 22 Nov 2018, 17:13

“By forward-operating these ships from their affiliated locations across the country, including the Tyne, it will not only allow them to react quickly, but also strengthen the bonds between the Royal Navy and local communities.”


Sounds like he's having a machine guns on tractors moment. So much for harmony and morale.

Rambo
Member
Posts: 104
Joined: 13 May 2015, 21:29

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Rambo » 22 Nov 2018, 18:04

If extra manning is found for the Rivers i would have preferred the RN to re activate one (or two) of the escorts currently laid up as harbour training ships instead. The current fleet appears to be quite stretched as we speak. Whilst increasing UK patrols is important post brexit there are other priorities further up the list IMHO.

User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 4892
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby SKB » 22 Nov 2018, 18:30

Can we have an HMS Meon for the Portsmouth/Spithead region please Mr Williamson? :mrgreen:

Caribbean
Senior Member
Posts: 1262
Joined: 09 Jan 2016, 19:08
Location: England

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Caribbean » 22 Nov 2018, 18:44

donald_of_tokyo wrote:“bolster the UK’s ability to protect our fishing fleet as well as our shores”.

Just the start of the post-Brexit relationship negotiations
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

dmereifield
Senior Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby dmereifield » 22 Nov 2018, 19:21

Caribbean wrote:
donald_of_tokyo wrote:“bolster the UK’s ability to protect our fishing fleet as well as our shores”.

Just the start of the post-Brexit relationship negotiations


There won't be any meaningful "negitiations" if the PM manages to get the current withdrawal agreement through

User avatar
Poiuytrewq
Member
Posts: 961
Joined: 15 Dec 2017, 10:25
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Poiuytrewq » 22 Nov 2018, 20:40

Our future OPV fleet.
image.jpg
It makes you wonder what could have been possible had the RB2 design incorporated a Wildcat hanger.

Could this be an acknowledgment that the T31 build schedule is slipping further?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Repulse
Senior Member
Posts: 1436
Joined: 05 May 2015, 22:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Repulse » 22 Nov 2018, 20:47

donald_of_tokyo wrote:Notice that HMS Clyde goes unmentioned. Presumably to be returned to BAE at end of lease.


Would say she would make a good replacement for the Irish Naval ship LÉ Eithne.
"For get this quite clear, every time we have to decide between Europe and the open sea, it is always the open sea we shall choose." - Winston Churchill

User avatar
Repulse
Senior Member
Posts: 1436
Joined: 05 May 2015, 22:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Repulse » 22 Nov 2018, 20:50

Poiuytrewq wrote:Our future OPV fleet.
image.jpg
It makes you wonder what could have been possible had the RB2 design incorporated a Wildcat hanger.

Could this be an acknowledgment that the T31 build schedule is slipping further?


A RB3 design which includes a hangar, now there’s an idea :twisted:

Hope this is the start of people seeing sense on the T31e - kill it and build more T26s and RB3 Patrol Sloops.
"For get this quite clear, every time we have to decide between Europe and the open sea, it is always the open sea we shall choose." - Winston Churchill

User avatar
Repulse
Senior Member
Posts: 1436
Joined: 05 May 2015, 22:46
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Repulse » 22 Nov 2018, 20:51

RichardIC wrote:
“By forward-operating these ships from their affiliated locations across the country, including the Tyne, it will not only allow them to react quickly, but also strengthen the bonds between the Royal Navy and local communities.”


Sounds like he's having a machine guns on tractors moment. So much for harmony and morale.


Disagree, his point on close bonds between local communities and ships has been lost and should not be unrated in a country that is “Sea Blind”.
"For get this quite clear, every time we have to decide between Europe and the open sea, it is always the open sea we shall choose." - Winston Churchill

dmereifield
Senior Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby dmereifield » 23 Nov 2018, 00:26

Poiuytrewq wrote:Our future OPV fleet.
image.jpg
It makes you wonder what could have been possible had the RB2 design incorporated a Wildcat hanger.

Could this be an acknowledgment that the T31 build schedule is slipping further?


Or that the B2 delivery schedule is slipping due to the well publicised quality control issues???

User avatar
RichardIC
Member
Posts: 381
Joined: 10 May 2015, 16:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby RichardIC » 23 Nov 2018, 06:38

Repulse wrote:Disagree, his point on close bonds between local communities and ships has been lost and should not be unrated in a country that is “Sea Blind”.


Misses the point entirely.

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has secured the protection of British home waters


https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-secretary-secures-ships-to-protect-home-waters

The hyperbole is just excruciating (honestly, who falls for this nonsense!?).

User avatar
Halidon
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: 12 May 2015, 01:34
Location: United States of America

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby Halidon » 23 Nov 2018, 18:12

RichardIC wrote:
Repulse wrote:Disagree, his point on close bonds between local communities and ships has been lost and should not be unrated in a country that is “Sea Blind”.


Misses the point entirely.

Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has secured the protection of British home waters


https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defence-secretary-secures-ships-to-protect-home-waters

The hyperbole is just excruciating (honestly, who falls for this nonsense!?).

Plenty of uninformed people in countries around the world think "their" favored government is infallible and drink that sort of thing up. It's why dumb stuff like that keeps getting said.

dmereifield
Senior Member
Posts: 1681
Joined: 03 Aug 2016, 20:29
Location: United Kingdom

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Postby dmereifield » 23 Nov 2018, 21:56

I just noticed that the B1s will be based at Newcastle, Liverpool and the Cardiff - does anyone know the operational rationale is for basing at these locations? In addition, what facilities does the RN have at these sites for the vessels and the crew?


Return to “Royal Navy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests