River Class (OPV) (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Tempest414
France

Re: River Class (OPV) (RN)

Post by Tempest414 »

Seven is in hold at Portsmouth so could have been

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

Tempest414 wrote:makes me sick both her and Seven are needed now as there is no direct replacement for over a year as Forth will replace Clyde clearly the job they been doing for past 16 years dose not need doing anymore in the eyes of HMG
I think it's a bit unfair to accuse HMG of that. I think that there is recognition that the job still needs doing. At least they are retaining the Batch 1's and not selling them off. The Border force has also been shored up a bit (8 new 20m Rhibs for inshore/ territorial waters work in 2016/2017) and the regional fishery protection and police fleets seem to have been getting more resources recently. Marine Fisheries Agency operates 5 aircraft and the Scots have their three offshore fishery protection vessels and a couple of Cessna surveillance aircraft. We are definitely going to need the bigger vessels in a year or so's time, but we need to build up the inshore "fleet" as well.

Edit: Sorry it's the Marine Management Organisation now, not Marine Fisheries Agency and they operate aircraft in conjunction with Marine Scotland - they will keep changing stuff around! Trying to find the current aircraft numbers.

Edit 2: the Marine Management Organisation passed the fixed-wing patrol responsibility to HM Coastguard (arguably where it should be), so it's two aircraft (Cessna 406 Caravan) for Scottish waters, plus two for England and Wales.

Got there in the end! The point is that a great deal of the old Fisheries Protection squadron job is now covered by other, civilian agencies (and is becoming more intelligence-led), so it really only exists to allow the application of force on the rare occasions that it is needed in home waters, rather than to cover the patrol element.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Simply man power is dictating, I guess.

Now HMS Forth, even though not tasked, is fully manned. I think HMS Sever's ex-crew is significantly contributing there.
HMS Medway is coming soon, and I think it will be manned by HMS Tyne's ex-crew.

In place of Forth, HMS Clyde will come back, and decommission to provide crews for Trent, and then Severn decommissions for Tamar. I have no idea how to find the crew of HMG Spey, but this will be deeply related to the disbanding of a few T23GPs and we need to wait for the decision.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

Where did the crew go from the two decommissioned Hunt MCMs?
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

May be Tyne herself. At least, Tyne was known to be crewed by MCMV crew.

In other words, I guess there was a cut an year ago.

Further guess it was not a cut but simply went for QNLZ.

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

War, warlike operations, increased tension as a prelude to war..........the usual things that military and naval forces get involved with really.
RetroSicotte wrote:
Probably, but what scenario would call for such weapons?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Oh boy: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-tyn ... an-feared/

Just as well the B1s were put in reserve (an unusual move in itself, but there will likely be more fish, to be counted, after Brexit kicks in).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

ArmChairCivvy wrote:Oh boy: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-tyn ... an-feared/

Just as well the B1s were put in reserve (an unusual move in itself, but there will likely be more fish, to be counted, after Brexit kicks in).
You wouldn't mind if they had of been cheap but for the amount we paid for them....

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Poiuytrewq wrote:
ArmChairCivvy wrote:Oh boy: https://ukdefencejournal.org.uk/hms-tyn ... an-feared/

You wouldn't mind if they had of been cheap but for the amount we paid for them....
Really depressing news. Hope it is not as bad as it sounds.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Really depressing. What is going on in Clyde? Their moral has completely lost?

indeid

Post by indeid »

Explains the slow Frigate build. BAe have to keep stopping to wait for the glue to dry.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

No wonder the gov wanted the T31 built in other yards... I jest, probably down to a couple of pissed off workers on a Friday afternoon clock watching, he he

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Maybe they were put into reserve for this purpose? Perhaps someone at the RN/MoD foresaw this coming a few months back?

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

The thing for me is that it hints that HMS Seven is going in for refit. If this is so what type of refit how much is being spent and what for. Is it to be returned to the fleet or sold.

Repulse
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Repulse »

If true very concerning news. Just wondering though if we are mixing things - perhaps as per of the MDP the B1s were coming back anyway.
”We have no eternal allies, and we have no perpetual enemies. Our interests are eternal and perpetual, and those interests it is our duty to follow." - Lord Palmerston

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

Hopefully, you can't have too many OPVs.

It has to be asked... If you can't build OPVs for rather obscene amounts of money then what the hell is going on?

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Not good news. What kind of serious defects require her to be dry docked for them to be fixed?

At best it might be that quality control inspections need to be repeated. At worst, some major structural defects need to be rectified.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Repulse wrote:If true very concerning news. Just wondering though if we are mixing things - perhaps as per of the MDP the B1s were coming back anyway.
You have a point. It was announced the B1's were going to be retained. 2+2=5?

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

March:
Guto Bebb, Parliamentary Under-Secretary of State for Defence:

“The Ministry of Defence has now been allocated £12.7 million in 2018-19 for essential EU exit preparations. This will fund preserving three Off-Shore Patrol Vessels, should they be needed to control and enforce UK waters and fisheries. It also includes some EU Exit preparedness funding for UK defence bases in Europe. As with all HMT Reserve funding, finalised allocations will be confirmed at Supplementary Estimates 2018-19 in early 2019.”

April:
Rear Adm Gardner:

“At the moment no decision has been taken about what their future could be. I’m keeping the ships in a state of operational readiness"

Anyone? "Operational readiness" is better than any category of "being in reserve"?
- I read it as " all that's needed is a crew to be on-boarded"... and off we (they) go
- "perfect foresight"? Perhaps graduated between the three, not all kept at quite so high readiness (HMT Reserve funding being a tad different from a reserve fleet being created... just preserving options over a limited period of time)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

And this was before the MoD got a little extra money so who knows.

The story about Tyne being prepared to replace the ailing Forth was just packed full of quotes from May when the original story broke. No new ones. The only new element was the claim that Forth was to be replaced and that was from an anonymous source. I find it all a bit fishy. Like someone is just stirring the poop.

indeid

Post by indeid »

Ron5 wrote:And this was before the MoD got a little extra money so who knows.

The story about Tyne being prepared to replace the ailing Forth was just packed full of quotes from May when the original story broke. No new ones. The only new element was the claim that Forth was to be replaced and that was from an anonymous source. I find it all a bit fishy. Like someone is just stirring the poop.
What with building new ships badly and having to repair badly built ships just delivered, I’m not sure the BAe glue stock will suffice for any work on the older Rivers.

‘Operational Readiness’ is a great term, you can make it whatever you want. Only two times I’ve really come across, once it meant locking the kit in a warehouse and ignoring it, then being shocked when nothing worked. The other maintaining a support contract, routine maintenance and keeping a spares stock. Write your contact, pay your price, and most importantly, monitor the contract......

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

indeid wrote:

What with building new ships badly and having to repair badly built ships just delivered, I’m not sure the BAe glue stock will suffice for any work on the older Rivers.

‘Operational Readiness’ is a great term, you can make it whatever you want. Only two times I’ve really come across, once it meant locking the kit in a warehouse and ignoring it, then being shocked when nothing worked. The other maintaining a support contract, routine maintenance and keeping a spares stock. Write your contact, pay your price, and most importantly, monitor the contract......
I guess we found one poop stirrer.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Ron5 wrote: I find it all a bit fishy.
I have no further information; but they are/ were the Fishery Protection Sqdrn, after all :)

indeid

Post by indeid »

Ron5 wrote:
indeid wrote:

I guess we found one poop stirrer.
Which bit is incorrect?

Let me guess, the glue stocks are fine.

Spinflight
United Kingdom

Post by Spinflight »

Maybe they used the same glue as Trudeau? #browgate

Anyone shocked at BAes incompetence hasn't been paying attention.