AW101 Merlin Helicopter (RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
Gabriele
Italy

Re: Merlin helicopters

Post by Gabriele »

If the Chinook and Puma were in the Army where they should be, there would not be a JHC at all as it would be utterly redundant and pointless. It is exactly because battlefield support helicopters ended up in Light Blue that JHC became necessary.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Its also why we ended up with loads of heavy lift helicopters and no proper assault and utility machines. The RAF wouldn't want the Blackhawk for instance, because it would be so obvious that it should belong to the AAC their would be a risk of them losing it. In my opinion with JHC they are trying to take control of all aviation assets via the back door. As they did with Joint Force Harrier and are doing with the F35B.

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

whitelancer wrote:Its also why we ended up with loads of heavy lift helicopters and no proper assault and utility machines. The RAF wouldn't want the Blackhawk for instance, because it would be so obvious that it should belong to the AAC their would be a risk of them losing it. In my opinion with JHC they are trying to take control of all aviation assets via the back door. As they did with Joint Force Harrier and are doing with the F35B.
If the RAF required the UH60 it would get it, but there is no requirement for it, fro weather the Army or the RAF. AH64E, Wildcat, CH47 are a rather potent force that fits the requirements laid down by JHC, Land etc.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

Raf wanted Blackhawk and Chinny but was forced into merlin for political reasons.

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

Tinman wrote:If the RAF required the UH60 it would get it, but there is no requirement for it, fro weather the Army or the RAF. AH64E, Wildcat, CH47 are a rather potent force that fits the requirements laid down by JHC, Land etc.
That's rather the point, the RAF doesn't require an assault or utility helicopter, but the Army does. The CH47 does some things very well. If you want to shift equipment and supplies, or move large numbers of personnel quickly its perfect. But if you need to move small numbers of personnel, commanders for instance, or small loads its an extravagance. More importantly using it to conduct air assaults is hardly ideal. Is it sensible to risk a CH47, loaded with troops going into a hot or potentially hot LZ? Losing just one could have serious consequences. Losing a Chinook was one of the major worries of the Commanders in Afghanistan, not to mention the Politian's.
What you want when conducting an air assault is a smaller helicopter that can carry a section or so of troops, which is agile and can be armed, capable of landing in confined spaces when necessary and taking a degree of damage, the loss of which is acceptable.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

whitelancer wrote:Its also why we ended up with loads of heavy lift helicopters and no proper assault and utility machines. The RAF wouldn't want the Blackhawk for instance, because it would be so obvious that it should belong to the AAC their would be a risk of them losing it. In my opinion with JHC they are trying to take control of all aviation assets via the back door. As they did with Joint Force Harrier and are doing with the F35B.
X
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Lord Jim
United Kingdom

Post by Lord Jim »

Moving small number of personnel around is a role the Wildcat will eventually take over when it is realized that as a Recce platform it is lacking. In armed manned recce by helicopter is just too high a risk in todays climate of risk aversion. I could do the job but they MoD are not will to invest in kitting the Wildcat out to a spec necessary to do it effectively.

downsizer

Post by downsizer »

whitelancer wrote:In my opinion with JHC they are trying to take control of all aviation assets via the back door.
Wrong, JHC is an army machine and is Joint with a capital A.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

does it really matter whose badge is on the side?
@LandSharkUK

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

There hasn’t been an RAF boss since 2014.

Present one is RN, Army prior to that.

Tinman
United Kingdom

Post by Tinman »

shark bait wrote:does it really matter whose badge is on the side?
Yes, as each of the services have differing T&C's, the army tend to be more right you are this age now Foxtrot oscar.

indeid

Post by indeid »

Tinman wrote: the army tend to be more right you are this age now Foxtrot oscar.
Can you send the key setting for that?

whitelancer
United Kingdom

Post by whitelancer »

shark bait wrote:does it really matter whose badge is on the side?
It matters a lot, and its not only which service "owns and operates" a particular capability but it matters even within services. Of course those who disagree will say that any problems that may have occurred in the past are not relevant today and its all sweetness and light in todays Joint world. Pardon me if I'm sceptical. Particularly as you get problems within services as much as you do between services.

Opinion3

Post by Opinion3 »

It is a shame we didn't pick up some of the Merlins going cheap. e.g. the Presidential helicopters, I do wonder if we have enough Merlin and whether they are as completely specified as perhaps they should be.

The Merlin can do mine sweeping as well, there is much potential that hasn't been utilised in our armed forces.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

I’ve always wondered why we’ve never gone down the path of mine sweeping by helicopter, especially since the Merlin is deemed suitable for such tasks by the JMSDF.

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

I concur. Always struck me as odd how both the usn & Japanese navy do this type of clearance but we don't.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

and in gulf wars 1 & 2 the US navy relied on Royal navy minehunters and between did a limited investment in their own mine hunters.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Choice is sweep from a helicopter for three hours a day, or sweep from a boat for 12 hours a day. The former costs thousands of pounds per hour to operate, the latter costs hundreds of pounds per hours to operate.
@LandSharkUK

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

and sweeping only covers some of the mine threat

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

I can easily appreciate that sweeping with a helicopter towed sled would be expensive and more subject to weather conditions compared to mine sweeping/hunting with surface vessels and ROVs. The question then surely is why do the USN and JMSDF persist with sweeping by helicopters when it is such an costly and inefficient method?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Simon82 wrote:I can easily appreciate that sweeping with a helicopter towed sled would be expensive and more subject to weather conditions compared to mine sweeping/hunting with surface vessels and ROVs. The question then surely is why do the USN and JMSDF persist with sweeping by helicopters when it is such an costly and inefficient method?
They don't do it instead of ship based minesweeping.

They do it in addition to.

As for why the UK doesn't, well it comes back to the exact same issue as everything else.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

and the surface based mine hunter gives more in terms of value

Smokey
Cyprus

Post by Smokey »

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

King Arthur burial site confirmed. :twisted:

Opinion3

Post by Opinion3 »

marktigger wrote:and the surface based mine hunter gives more in terms of value
Granted, but if there is one area where I feel technology should save money in the Forces, and hasn't partially yet, it is in the use of remote, unmanned vehicles. Using helicopters with remote vehicles (quite possibly wired) to hunt for mines and submarines sounds like it has much potential and a long journey to go. I wasn't particularly advocating a reallocation of resources for this task, but more a good bit of university research funding or something like that