Tide Class Tankers (MARS) (RFA)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
RichardIC
United Kingdom

Re: Tide Class Tankers (MARS) (RFA)

Post by RichardIC »

james k wrote:I wonder how they measure up against the re-constructed RCN Asterix.
RCN Resolve is a multi-purpose AOR so probably a better comparison with the Tide's half-sister, Logistics Support Vessel HNoMS Maud. There's a Powerpoint on Maud in English at:

sms.1835.no

Probably easier to Google "HNoMS Maud" than learn Norwegian.

2HeadsBetter
United Kingdom

Post by 2HeadsBetter »

It's the year of the Royal Navy, apparently. Ever growing, as well. Has she heard of the RFA, do you think?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Note the Gov is now saying they are 39,000 tonnes? At work so I don't have the link, but it was in one I noticed on someone's twitter last night.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

RetroSicotte wrote:Note the Gov is now saying they are 39,000 tonnes? At work so I don't have the link, but it was in one I noticed on someone's twitter last night.
The above video says 39,000 tons.

xav

Post by xav »

SEA Succesfully Links Ship/Air Interface Simulation Capability with Chinook Simulator

Cohort company SEA is providing modelling and simulation support to the UK MoD Chinook project team as a method of assessing key aircraft handling qualities, prior to sea trials of the Chinook helicopter operating from the new Tide Class Military Afloat Reach and Sustainability (MARS) Tanker ship.
https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.p ... lator.html

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Excellent. And apart from the simulator, I wonder what are the ship-internal arrangement for a flow of pallets to the hangar, and the Chinook then coming in and acting in the delivery-boy mode for VERTREP?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

ArmChairCivvy wrote: I wonder what are the ship-internal arrangement for a flow of pallets to the hangar
A lift I understand

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Sure. And not of a container size.

But: one pallet; two... at a time?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

sea_eagle
United Kingdom

Post by sea_eagle »

These new ships appear to be very capable and arriving just in time (if a bit late) to support the carriers. Will they have the new 5 ton RAS capability or is that still to be fitted?
Here is a link to some nice pictures from a recent RFAA Plymouth visit
http://pdb.rfaaplymouth.org/tidespring-visit.html

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Good find, some very nice images, including a large hangar, and some nice looking accommodation. Media has been scarce throughout the build so its nice to finally see some good shots.

The new Heavy RAS wont be fitted to these, its developed specifically for the solid support ships. The Tides will only transfer stores by helicopter or crane.
@LandSharkUK

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Great pictures, thanks Sea Eagle.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Excellent pictures gives an idea how big the ships are.

Opinion3

Post by Opinion3 »

Maybe a stupid question, and sorry if it is, but could a Chinook replenish a T45 / T26? I realise they can land on the deck, but is that always "head first" and does that allow sufficient room to load / unload via the ramp?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Opinion3 wrote:Maybe a stupid question, and sorry if it is, but could a Chinook replenish a T45 / T26? I realise they can land on the deck, but is that always "head first" and does that allow sufficient room to load / unload via the ramp?
For a Type 26, the answer is yes. The deck is designed large enough for the Chinooks ramp to be used for men & kit.

For a Type 45, I don't know but I think not.

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Perhaps it's a good demonstration for whats to come on the solid support ships, where the Chinook capability will be much more usable.

If a the Tides have been built Chinook capable its safe to say the SSS will be, and lets go one step further, a hangar to support one would be highly desirable.
@LandSharkUK

KyleG
United Kingdom

Post by KyleG »

Ron5 wrote:
Opinion3 wrote:Maybe a stupid question, and sorry if it is, but could a Chinook replenish a T45 / T26? I realise they can land on the deck, but is that always "head first" and does that allow sufficient room to load / unload via the ramp?
For a Type 26, the answer is yes. The deck is designed large enough for the Chinooks ramp to be used for men & kit.

For a Type 45, I don't know but I think not.
The Type 45's deck is listed as Chinook capable, but I don't know if it's ever been trialed.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

nice to see pictures of first RAS with Sutherland and wave knight.

pictures nicked from Facebook RFA Ship group
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

QHM Portsmouth movements show RFA Tidespring will arrive in HMNB Portsmouth at Victory Jetty at 10:45 Thursday 16th November 2017
https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/qhm/portsm ... 16/11/2017

And yes, I was looking for the QE... ;)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Great news, at least the RFA is growing, and there holds the key to a global carrier group.
@LandSharkUK

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

RFA Tidespring enters Portsmouth Harbour (16th November 2017)

(Royal Navy)

(Jonny Davies)

(RN)
The Royal Fleet Auxiliary’s new tanker RFA Tidespring has sailed into Portsmouth ahead of her dedication ceremony on 27th November 2017.

The 39,000 tonne tanker will be brought into service with the RFA – the civilian-manned fleet of support vessels which provide fuel, food and stores for Royal Navy warships all over the world.

RFA Tidespring and her three sister ships (Tiderace, Tidesurge & Tideforce) are flexible, state-of-the-art vessels that will provide key support to the Queen Elizabeth aircraft carriers.

They are part of the UK government’s £178million equipment plan to provide the Armed Forces with the kit that it needs to provide effective operational support across the globe.

Head of the RFA Commodore Duncan Lamb said: “Tidespring’s arrival in Portsmouth today is an exciting milestone in the history of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary. She is a tangible demonstration of the success of the MARS Tanker project which is delivering first-class global support for a first-class global navy.”

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

More information here on her arrival plus news about her RAS trials

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/articl ... mouth.html