Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by bobp »

I notice that the bow section has been painted and quite a lot of scaffolding has been removed as well.

cyrilranch
United Kingdom

Post by cyrilranch »

The Armchair Soldier wrote:The forward section out in the open:

Credit to George Allison
Still a few years away from being in service,slow progress

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Moved a lot more now

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Paul Sweeney) 16th April 2021
Glasgow gets its first glimpse of the city's own Royal Navy ship, HMS Glasgow, as the fwd 'super-block' rolls out of Govan Shipyard's Ship Block & Outfit Hall this morning. It will now have the mast fitted on the hardstand, and the aft 'super-block' will be rolled out to link up.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Lick of paint looks good too.....

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

No pennant number yet.

Maybe the RN are still deciding what to use instead of F260, because the German Braunschweig-class corvettes are already using F260-F269.

F26 is vacant. Most recently used on HMS Matabele, a Tribal Class destroyer that served during WW2.
F27 is vacant. Most recently used on HMS Lynx, a Leopard class frigate (1957-1982).
F28 is in use by a Bangladeshi frigate, BNS Somudro Joy. Perhaps a number change could be arranged?
F29 is vacant. No previous naval use.
F30 is vacant. Most recently used on HMS Forfar, an armed merchant cruiser (a converted liner named SS Montrose) during WW2.

F31 is in use by an Indian frigate, INS Brahmaputra. So couldn't be used by lead T31 frigate.
F32 is vacant, could be used by lead T32 frigate.
D83 is vacant. Most recently used on HMS Broke, a Thornycroft-class destoyer that served in WW2. Could be reused by lead T83 destroyer.

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Very impressive to finally see them take shape.

I wonder in the USN has that FREMM order on sale or return :D

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

(Navy Lookout) 16th April 2021
The forward section of HMS Glasgow being rolled out of the Ship Block Outfit Hall at Govan, Glasgow.

The aft section (visible in the shed on the right) is due to out in a few weeks - the mast will be added and the two sections will be joined on the hardstanding before she is floated off and towed downriver to the Scotstoun yard for fitting out in early 2022.

Due to be handed over to RN in 2025 and fully operational in 2027.

(A hull section of the second Type 26, HMS Cardiff can be seen in the foreground on the left)

More details here: https://www.navylookout.com/building-hm ... 6-frigate/

Via: George Allison

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Thanks for posting the photos etc, Looks so different all painted up :thumbup: Will be good to see her hull complete & floated down river !!

ETH
United Kingdom

Post by ETH »

No boot stripe and no pennant number, my guess is that painting has not finished yet and will be finalised at Scotstoun.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

This is just the first paint as she will be outside now until handover in 4 years time she will get her delivery paint job early 20205 I recon

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

18,180 years! That is an unbelievably long build time. :lol:

Little J
United Kingdom

Post by Little J »

Can I just say, well done Bob :thumbup:

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

Socially distanced beer with neighbour last night (across the garden fence- BrewDog of course). Batch 2 T26 WILL NOT be built on Clyde if a second referendum goes ahead. Moves to use Appledore for blocks and CL for weld-up and finish.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

https://www.navylookout.com/taking-shap ... uild-hall/
The section that has been rolled out is largely just steelwork although some of the lock-out machinery is in place.
A bit surprised by this, I expected with the experience of the QE carriers the 2 half's would be a bit better kitted out. Seem a little bit old fashioned, with block construction we should be able kit out sections of HMS Glasgow a bit better before we launch it into the water.

90inFIRST
United Kingdom

Post by 90inFIRST »

Jdam wrote:https://www.navylookout.com/taking-shap ... uild-hall/
The section that has been rolled out is largely just steelwork although some of the lock-out machinery is in place.
A bit surprised by this, I expected with the experience of the QE carriers the 2 half's would be a bit better kitted out. Seem a little bit old fashioned, with block construction we should be able kit out sections of HMS Glasgow a bit better before we launch it into the water.
I would be surprised if this was the case, the difficultly of getting stuff in with out having to cut back open, plus carriers and T45 were built with a great deal of equipment in place why change that now. Happy to be corrected.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

jimthelad wrote:Socially distanced beer with neighbour last night (across the garden fence- BrewDog of course). Batch 2 T26 WILL NOT be built on Clyde if a second referendum goes ahead. Moves to use Appledore for blocks and CL for weld-up and finish.
Do you think that will be a condition of allowing a Indyref 2 then ? seems logical to me though

I can see sturgeon saying " the English are threatening to destroy our ship building "

ps hope the beer was cold !!

imperialman
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by imperialman »

serge750 wrote:
jimthelad wrote:Socially distanced beer with neighbour last night (across the garden fence- BrewDog of course). Batch 2 T26 WILL NOT be built on Clyde if a second referendum goes ahead. Moves to use Appledore for blocks and CL for weld-up and finish.
Do you think that will be a condition of allowing a Indyref 2 then ? seems logical to me though

I can see sturgeon saying " the English are threatening to destroy our ship building "

ps hope the beer was cold !!
I've heard something similar from a friend at Scotstoun interestingly enough, just rumours at this stage though.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

The beer was indeed cold (BrewDog Mr President)! He suggested that several groups were in planning currently. Also, George Galloway asked an SNP lackey in an online debate yesterday about where the 16500 high skill jobs would be found to recreate the loss of Faslane and the associated facilities (yep, you read that right!).

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

jimthelad wrote:if a second referendum goes ahead. Moves to use Appledore for blocks and CL for weld-up and finish.
Would expect the (former) shipbuilding hall at Portsmouth might be considered too.

Refurbishing Hunts is hardly going to be a long-term commitment.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

MBDA’s Sea Ceptor ordered for Canadian Surface Combatant

So it looks like Canadian T26s will be equipped with ExLS.

https://www.mbda-systems.com/press-rele ... combatant/

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

The CAMM missiles will be quad packed in Lockheed Martin’s Extensible Launcher System (ExLS), which is part of the Mk41 family of vertical launcher systems.
Seen plenty of articles on the combination but is this the first customer to use all 3 systems together?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jdam wrote:Seen plenty of articles on the combination but is this the first customer to use all 3 systems together?
No. They're the first customer to use ExLS though...in 15 years of marketing it...

The Canadian's are using the ExLS in its standalone configuration in the mid ships position, they won't be mounted inside of a Mk.41 (no need for that). The Mk.41's on the CSC are toward the bow and will carry Tomahawk, ESSM and SM-2 I believe.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jensy wrote:Would expect the (former) shipbuilding hall at Portsmouth might be considered too.

Refurbishing Hunts is hardly going to be a long-term commitment.
Not sure if a T26 would fit...