Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

clinch
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by clinch »

Very good news for BAe Systems. Just need the UK to order more and the Canadians to join the party.

inch

Post by inch »

I know its got delayed abit but when was canada supposed to anounce the winning bid anybody ?

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Astounding news, and hopefully beneficial to the Canadian one too.

Sunk at Narvik
United Kingdom

Post by Sunk at Narvik »

Excellent that its been won on merit- a real boost to UK design expertese. Fingers crossed for the Canadian decision, but as they say- its got momentum now (:

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

Brilliant. I quite like ‘Hunter class’. Global combat ship sounds rather naff..

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

Top effort to all . Come on Canada you know it makes sense

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

They should transfer Gabby and make her head of Bae UK shipbuilding instead of that Scottish guy.

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

inch wrote:I know its got delayed abit but when was canada supposed to anounce the winning bid anybody ?
The latest round of bids in supposed to be in on July 21. I wouldn't expect a decision before January, assuming no great complications emerge before then.

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Massive news.

Can't wait for the SNP to say it's a total betrayal of workers on the Clyde who were promised this work.

matt00773
United Kingdom

Post by matt00773 »

Brilliant news! Was waiting for this and searching every day for any updates. This got me by surprise but that makes it even better.

http://adbr.com.au/breaking-bae-type-26 ... -sea-5000/

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Rambo wrote:Brilliant. I quite like ‘Hunter class’. Global combat ship sounds rather naff..
It sounds good, but it could mean that they're naming them after wine making regions. We'll know for sure if the second ship is HMAS Full-bodied Barossa Shiraz. :D

Joking aside, I can only echo everyone else's sentiments that this is brilliant news.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Awsome !!! Does anybody know if they are going for CAMM aswell? makes sense if they are building 9, noticed they are getting torpedo tubes aswell, Does Austalia use ASROC ?

like all have said fingers crossed for Cananda, Nz ..go Commonwealth !!!! :clap:

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

serge750 wrote:Awsome !!! Does anybody know if they are going for CAMM aswell? makes sense if they are building 9, noticed they are getting torpedo tubes aswell, Does Austalia use ASROC ?
They're going all Mk41, I think 32 silos. So it'll be ESSM.

matt00773
United Kingdom

Post by matt00773 »

Interesting that the announcement came just hours after the US State Department approved some parts for Australia. Perhaps this was the hold up and not the WA ASC involvement?

https://www.defensenews.com/global/asia ... te-design/

"The announcement came just hours after the U.S. State Department announced it had cleared the sale of $185 million in parts to help Australia connect its CEAFAR 2 phased array radar system with Lockheed Martin’s Aegis combat system, with the goal of having both pieces of equipment aboard the future frigates."

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

Well that's a nice bit of news to start the day off with, bit of a strange time to announce it.

Looking forward to the official announcement some time today its only 0330 in Sydney at the moment, and see what they have got and not.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Rambo wrote:Brilliant. I quite like ‘Hunter class’. Global combat ship sounds rather naff..
Yeah, all of BMT's namings translate [from Latin] to a hunter of one kind or the other... so now there is also one (design) to be the top of the class... with the "e" appended to the class name
Pseudo wrote:but it could mean that they're naming them after wine making regions. We'll know for sure if the second ship is HMAS Full-bodied Barossa Shiraz. :D
... we can live in the alternative universe; so many do :) [ watch out for Shiraz, or its overpowerful Durif derivative]
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

serge750 wrote:ike all have said fingers crossed for Cananda, Nz ..go Commonwealth !!!!
T26 I think is nailed on for Canada, even more so now.

But NZ isn't looking for T26 size or capability....but T31 could fit the bill for them...especially if it comes in at £250m. NZ could finally increase the size of their Frigate fleet to 3 then from the current 2 (it was supposed to be 3 ANZAC's but the 3rd was never ordered).

matt00773
United Kingdom

Post by matt00773 »

UK PM Teresa May's view on the decision - "Theresa May hails £20bn frigate deal as biggest naval defence contract for decade"

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/1632 ... or-decade/
The Prime Minister has been directly involved in making the case for the UK bid, including in bilateral talks with her Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull at Chequers earlier this year. Over the past 18 months Boris Johnson, the Foreign Secretary, Gavin Williamson, the Defence Secretary, and Liam Fox, the International Trade Secretary, have all visited Australia to extol the benefits of Britain’s world-class design, engineering and innovation.

“The sheer scale and nature of this contract puts the UK at the very forefront of maritime design and engineering and demonstrates what can be achieved by UK industry and Government working hand-in-hand,” declared Mrs May.

“We have always been clear that as we leave the EU we have an opportunity to build on our close relationships with allies like Australia. This deal is a perfect illustration that the Government is doing exactly that.

“And while this is an enormous boost for the UK economy, it will also cement our strategic partnership with one of our oldest and closest friends for decades to come,” she added.

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

It would be interesting to know if the Australian decision to go with the Type 26 could result in any mutually beneficial economies of scale. Certainly any reduction in the unit price would increase the odds of further nations adopting the design and even open up the possibility of a future increase in the Royal Navy buy if the U.K. government ever comes to its senses.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Great news for the UK and BAE. Congratulations. I must admitt that I have thought that the deal will go to Navantia, but I'm glad to be wrong. Now, only to get HMS to realise that it's embarassing to have Australia having more and better equipped Type 26 than the UK...
:think:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

sunstersun
United States of America

Post by sunstersun »

feels good man, haven't seen the uk export their ships in a while.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

sunstersun wrote:feels good man, haven't seen the uk export their ships in a while.
To be fair we don't do that bad on OPV's and small corvettes.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

Great to see! Glad that this time the insiders in the italian navy had caught the wrong rumor.
It would be interesting to know if the Australian decision to go with the Type 26 could result in any mutually beneficial economies of scale.
I would hope so. Certainly they should be looking already at making joint orders for Type 26 batch 2 ships and Hunter ships when it comes to common systems, including ordering the MK41 modules and MK45 equipment. Economies of scale won't shave away too terribly much, but every little helps.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum