Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

matt00773
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by matt00773 »

Here's another article on the visit to Glasgow by Gavin Williamson. Also discuses the digital shipyard approach.

https://www.defenceconnect.com.au/marit ... rogressing

There's also an article on BAE Systems agreement with Australian steel companies to supply Australian steel for SEA 5000 should the T26 win that bid.

https://steelguru.com/steel/australian- ... der/507472

inch

Post by inch »

also really really hoping they pick the t26 design but also agree politics will make the final choice and again I think the navantia design will swing it ,was hoping if they went for t26 might have helped Canada go for the t26 .but think politicians don't go for the riskier things and safe helps keeps the heat off them and in power especially when there advisors say play safe

matt00773
United Kingdom

Post by matt00773 »

inch wrote:also really really hoping they pick the t26 design but also agree politics will make the final choice and again I think the navantia design will swing it ,was hoping if they went for t26 might have helped Canada go for the t26 .but think politicians don't go for the riskier things and safe helps keeps the heat off them and in power especially when there advisors say play safe
Australia decided on the Shortfin Barracuda for their submarine program - which was about twice the cost of the other bids. Given that this design incorporates a never achieved before diesel pump jet propulsion, one could argue that Australia don't mind a bit of risk as long as the benefits are there. There's nothing in any of the SEA 5000 designs which approaches anywhere near the level of risk that is inherent in their submarine selection.

inch

Post by inch »

well I hope your right mat00773 on the sea 5000 design choice as well

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

inch wrote:also really really hoping they pick the t26 design but also agree politics will make the final choice and again I think the navantia design will swing it ,was hoping if they went for t26 might have helped Canada go for the t26 .but think politicians don't go for the riskier things and safe helps keeps the heat off them and in power especially when there advisors say play safe
I don't know there is a lot happening that effects Australia strategic thinking at the moment, this current governent has shown it will take risks, if they were risk adverse they would have chosen the Japanese Soryu class submarine over the most riskiest boat from the French.

I personally think the T26 gives us the best options for now and any future growth, don't think the others give us the same margins. If anything the AWD project showed us there's risk in everything they choose a mostly MOTS design over the paper design baby Burke and it still went over budget

inch

Post by inch »

Whats a mots design r686 ?

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

inch wrote:Whats a mots design r686 ?
Existing ship, as opposed to paper project.
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

R686
Australia

Post by R686 »

inch wrote:Whats a mots design r686 ?
Correct ABC123
MOTS
Military Off The Shelf
COTS
Commercial Off The Shelf

inch

Post by inch »

cheers you guys

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Plus the fact that the Type 26 is a low risk design.

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

@GutoAberconwy confirms the 1st Type 26, HMS Glasgow is due to be accepted from builders summer 2025. She will not be fully operational until 2027.
Kill british shipbuilding with fire, this is simply absurd.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

shark bait
Pitcairn Island

Post by shark bait »

Can't say I'm surprised, it does confirm what a shit show this is.
@LandSharkUK

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Gabriele wrote:
@GutoAberconwy confirms the 1st Type 26, HMS Glasgow is due to be accepted from builders summer 2025. She will not be fully operational until 2027.
When I heard him say it in the Commons yesterday I couldn't belive it either. I think up until this point it had been pretty vague something like "will enter service in the mid 2020's"

No wonder they are costing £1bn pounds each if they take 7 years to build.

That will mean as the first T26 enters service, all 5 GP T23's will have already been decommissioned.

Hope the T31's are a lot quicker into the water or there is going to be another gap :thumbdown:

How can it possibly take the UK 7 years to build a Frigate when China are churning them out like sausages?

Quick comparison with the T23's, first of class (HMS NORFOLK) took 5 years from laying the keel to commissioning into RN. The rest of the T23 class took around 3.5yrs from keel laying to commissioning. Maybe we should have built that Frigate Factory after all.

Tempest414
France

Post by Tempest414 »

I fear that HMG are holding type 26 back to see what happens with type 31 and I am starting to fear that they will up the budget for T-31 and if it comes out half decent they swap them around and go for 5 T-26 and 8 T-31

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Tempest414 wrote:I fear that HMG are holding type 26 back to see what happens with type 31 and I am starting to fear that they will up the budget for T-31 and if it comes out half decent they swap them around and go for 5 T-26 and 8 T-31
If the T31 was a modern T23 Frigate it wouldn't be the end of the world.

The T31 should have been something like,

4500t to 5000t
140m
Acoustically quiet hull and propulsion optimised for ASW
32 CAMM
16 Mk41 cells for ASROC and ASuW
Mk45 main armament
HMS and 2087 towed array
Artisan
CIWS, single phalanx
Merlin sized hanger and flight deck

A modern progression of the T23 so in effect a T24.

If we end with 8 of those and 5 T26's it might work out OK but if we get 8 patrol frigates and 5 T26's it would be a disaster.

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Technology is training and experience. New first-of-class ship taking 7 years to build is long, but not surprisingly long. Also, 1st hull of T26 commissioning 2027 is "enough", because the first T23ASW HMS Westminster is planned to decommission in 2028.

2nd T26 starts building 2 years later, but it will not take 7 years to commission. So, I think she will commission on early 2028.

3rd T26 starts 1.5 years later, but the build time may be shorter. Also, hopefully the followings ships in 1.5 years pace.
T26-3 = 2029, T26-4 = 2030, T26-5 = 2031, T26-6 = 2033, T26-7 = 2034, T26-8 = 2036. Not bad?

On the other hand, I do not think T31e can be any proper frigate. We shall concentrate on getting 8 T26ASW in pace. I am rather concerned about T31e building too fast. Gapping 1-2 frigates are not a big issue. Good planning and designing of T31e is much more important.

On the other hand, building can be fast. Typical heavy corvettes are built within 3-3.5 years. Make it simple, basic, and even small, to enable easy building. Select what is needed, and ban what is not needed. Anyway, the average budget per hull is only 250M GBP. Be practical, and get maximum output regard to budget. In other words, we shall never forget the budget is only that of a typical heavy corvette, only a half of a proper light-frigate.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

News only, folks.

matt00773
United Kingdom

Post by matt00773 »

During a meeting between UK & Oz PMs on 21 April, the Type 26 was discussed:
Acknowledging that the two countries already enjoy a close defence relationship, the Prime Minister welcomed increased cooperation on defence and security, including on equipment programmes and noted the merits of the Type 26 frigate and its anti-submarine warfare capability.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/pm-m ... april-2018

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Gabriele wrote:
Man, just imagine, I have enough time to sire a child and send him/her into a first grade before that damn abomination even starts Sea trials. :o

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Gabriele wrote:
The schedule has been set by the customer, not the shipbuilder.

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Gabriele wrote:
The out if service date of the first of the ASW Type 23s (HMS Westminster) is currently 2028.

The fact that HMS Glasgow will be commissioned into the RN in 2025, three years before the OSD of the ship she replaces, is a welcome surprise. There may even be a temporary rise in the total number of frigates during this period.

Caribbean
United Kingdom

Post by Caribbean »

These dates aren't really news - pretty sure they were mentioned towards the end of last year.
The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Winston Churchill

Gabriele
Italy

Post by Gabriele »

These dates aren't really news - pretty sure they were mentioned towards the end of last year.
Entry in service towards the middle of the decade sounded already bad enough. That it could get this bad, i didn't dare believing.
You might also know me as Liger30, from that great forum than MP.net was.

Arma Pacis Fulcra.
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

Gabriele wrote:
Entry in service towards the middle of the decade sounded already bad enough. That it could get this bad, i didn't dare believing.
I agree with Caribbean; nothing new here:

Entry in service towards the middle of the decade = Commissioned into RN in 2025
= accepted from builders summer 2025

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Don't worry, HMS Westminster will not be in service not a day more after first Type 26 enters service.