Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

SKB
England

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by SKB »

marktigger wrote:suspect the new frigates are bound for Portsmouth
Currently, Portsmouth flotilla contains 6 T23 frigates and Devonport flotilla has 7 T23 frigates.

So maybe not. ASW frigates should be based with our subs at Devonport. The GP Type 31's are more likely to go to Portsmouth.

Don't know. :lol: Maybe four T26's each at Devonport and Portsmouth for a nice fair balance. And with T31's equally shared too

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

I'd like to see one of the Type 26's being named for Plymouth.

Hasn't BaE goten an engineering complex at Portsmouth that's why i suspect they will go there and they are to big for the refit complex at babcock's. Would be nice if they made it big enough. But I hope the 31's come to devonport but i suspect not it will concentrate on supporting the amphibious fleet

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

SKB wrote:
Maybe not. ASW frigates should be based with our subs at Devonport. The GP Type 31's are more likely to go to Portsmouth
I was under the impression that all of our SSN's are moving north in the next few years.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Yeah, hyuge military secrets... :o
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

HMS Glasgow, I like it :mrgreen:

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

SKB wrote:
Currently, Portsmouth flotilla contains 6 T23 frigates and Devonport flotilla has 7 T23 frigates.

So maybe not. ASW frigates should be based with our subs at Devonport. The GP Type 31's are more likely to go to Portsmouth.

Don't know. :lol: Maybe four T26's each at Devonport and Portsmouth for a nice fair balance. And with T31's equally shared too
As per Rambo's comment, we are losing the subs :(
I'd be really annoyed if the we lost the frigates (T26) too...though I suppose there are logistical arguments for basing the whole class of T26 at Pompey and all the T31s in Devonport....
I'd still prefer to see half the T26s down here though, and half the T31s....

xav

Post by xav »

If i am not mistaking, they announced the name of just the first ship today, correct ?
We will have to wait o know the names for the rest of the class.

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Yup, they announced they would reveal "The first of the eight".

I misread it as all 8 at first as well.

xav

Post by xav »

Is that common practice for the RN ?

Clive F
United Kingdom

Post by Clive F »

That is 7 more press releases they can send out instead of just one.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Just wait, short of another Falklands invasion, it is only this kind of thing that will bring defence -related "letters" onto newspaper pages, save for saving cap badges of course.
- it is still good to have some profile with the very broad public
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

It will be interesting to see what the other 7 cities are chosen given that there are only 8 in total compared to the 14 T42's. As others have said maybe not Belfast with the current version still afloat. You would say Cardiff, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton for a geographical split perhaps. But also York, Liverpool, Nottingham, Plymouth & Bristol are worthy names too with some having strong maritime links.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

but Rambo you miss out Northern Ireland. The naming of ships in this way should be reflective of the whole country not Just England Scotland and Wales

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Rambo wrote:But also York, Liverpool, Nottingham, Plymouth & Bristol are worthy names too with some having strong maritime links.
Good names and I would also suggest Hull as a possibility. York is inland.

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

marktigger wrote:but Rambo you miss out Northern Ireland. The naming of ships in this way should be reflective of the whole country not Just England Scotland and Wales
I agree but the T42's didn't include NI either. i suppose we shall wait and see. If a town class emerges as the T31 we could see more of a geographical spread there.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

t42 wasn't exactey our finest ship building acheivement

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Rambo wrote:
marktigger wrote:but Rambo you miss out Northern Ireland. The naming of ships in this way should be reflective of the whole country not Just England Scotland and Wales
I agree but the T42's didn't include NI either. i suppose we shall wait and see. If a town class emerges as the T31 we could see more of a geographical spread there.
Bit of a slap in the face, perhaps, if NI is demoted to Town class only.....wouldnt look good either unless the relevant T31 was named quite early alongside with the early T26s

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

The Defence Secretary has revealed HMS Glasgow will be the name of the first of eight Type 26 frigates, as he started the computer-guided laser to cut her first piece of steel at Govan shipyard in Scotland today.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

marktigger wrote:I do Hope the Names reflect all parts of the United Kingdom not just England, Scotland and Wales
HMS Gibraltar & HMS Port Stanley would be fun. It's not like Spain or Argentina are future sales prospects.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

With Fallon such a Pinocchio sleaze bag, my cynical nature immediately thought the name is a prelude to Glasgow being screwed over by Fallon publishing the long awaited ship building strategy announcing that Glasgow will no longer build warships but will merely become an assembly point for Lego ships built block by block in English metal bashing factories.

But of course with an ever increasing defence budget and 178 billion equipment plan, that seems sooo unlikely.

:-)

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

News has allegedly 'leaked' from Holyrood that the new HMS Glasgow is to be painted with a 'rampant Scottish beast' on its bow.
New HMS Glasgow.jpg
:twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Pretty sure that contravenes the Geneva convention. Way too scary.

GibMariner

Post by GibMariner »

Rambo wrote:It will be interesting to see what the other 7 cities are chosen given that there are only 8 in total compared to the 14 T42's. As others have said maybe not Belfast with the current version still afloat. You would say Cardiff, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton for a geographical split perhaps. But also York, Liverpool, Nottingham, Plymouth & Bristol are worthy names too with some having strong maritime links.
HMS Bristol is also still afloat, and in use by the Royal Navy.

I don't see why Northern Ireland can't be honoured in the same way the other 3 constituent countries will surely be just because there's a museum with the same name.

Rambo

Post by Rambo »

GibMariner wrote:
Rambo wrote:It will be interesting to see what the other 7 cities are chosen given that there are only 8 in total compared to the 14 T42's. As others have said maybe not Belfast with the current version still afloat. You would say Cardiff, Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, Sheffield, Exeter, Southampton for a geographical split perhaps. But also York, Liverpool, Nottingham, Plymouth & Bristol are worthy names too with some having strong maritime links.
HMS Bristol is also still afloat, and in use by the Royal Navy.

I don't see why Northern Ireland can't be honoured in the same way the other 3 constituent countries will surely be just because there's a museum with the same name.
I do agree NI should be included. When the T42's were being built we still had the older HMS Antrim and HMS Londonderry so there were a good spread. Nowadays our fleet is so small the names will have to be chosen carefully. Regarding HMS Bristol, yes she is still afloat but i heard the RN were going to despose of her soon? Still like the name though..

Halidon
United States of America

Post by Halidon »

Ron5 wrote:
Timmymagic wrote:
Ron5 wrote:ExLs is not long enough to contain CAMM-ER.
That would surely be a very easy change, given that the length is essentially adjusted by internal trusses?
I don't know enough about the ExLs to venture an opinion.
ExLs in a Mk41 can likely stretch the cannister enough to do the job.