Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Global Combat Ship [News Only]

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

donald_of_tokyo wrote:The ukdefencejournal articles is gone
One of the interviewee's (who did not have specific info, or at least, did not let it out) seemed to think that the news are embargoed until Sunday
- I have a feeling that the Unions have been briefed, and the Official Secrets Act (I doubt that it even applies here?) has not been read to the participants... may be in the fear that they would think that it is the Riot Act,and would in reaction call a General Stoppage :?
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

If the order for the first batch of 3 T26 is announced on Sunday or Monday...
And if the first steel is cut a week later...
Then the first T26 could be in service around 2025.
This would mean that the contract for the second batch would fall after the present Terms of Business Agreement with BAE has expired.

If the order for the first batch of T31 is placed next year...
And if the order is awarded to a consortium beyond just BAE...
Then by the time of the order of the second batch of T26, there will be a number of shipyards able to compete to build some or all of the T26 blocks.

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Think so, the missile section looks different, the sea captor launchers look like the mushroom type ones that have been added to the Type 23's.

Also no room for deck mounted launchers? (I know its a bit redundant with the mark 41 but I cant remember if were in the original design)

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

Jdam wrote:Think so, the missile section looks different, the sea captor launchers look like the mushroom type ones that have been added to the Type 23's.

Also no room for deck mounted launchers? (I know its a bit redundant with the mark 41 but I cant remember if were in the original design)
Nope, they are there, after the exhaust... Look:

Can someone explain to me what are these two stacks at back? What's their purpose?
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

Biggles
United Kingdom

Post by Biggles »

Certainly a good looking warship.
Can someone explain to me what are these two stacks at back? What's their purpose?
DG exhaust

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

24 Mk 41 silo forward. 24 CAMM forward and 24 aft.

More than I expected/feared.

Re-MT30 comments above. Always been listed as having power growth potential to 40 MW enabled by running hotter but that unfortunately shortens component life. Slight improvement in SFC also.

Many thanks to Armchair Soldier for posting new CGI, they will give me hours of enjoyment. There's a few minor design changes, some more obvious than others, but I haven't spotted anything major yet. Which is to be expected at this point. I suspect the T26 design is more mature than any other UK warship at an equivalent stage. A lesson learned perhaps.

Mildly puzzled why it would take 8 years from now to get the first in service assuming steel cut next week. Seems rather a long time. Has that been announced or are folks calculating?

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Biggles wrote:Certainly a good looking warship.
DG exhaust
I think he means what purpose do the 2 black masts serve. I'm guessing Comms & passive & active EW sneaky stuff ?

Btw what would the multi barrelled objects between the CIWS & rear guns be ? Counter measures ?

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Dahedd wrote:Btw what would the multi barrelled objects between the CIWS & rear guns be ? Counter measures ?
They're S2170 countermeasures. Surface Ship Torpedo Defence.
The large canisters next to the bow Sea Ceptor silos are also countermeasures. They launch a large inflatable radar decoy for SSM's.

But...one thing missing from the CGI's is obvious, and could be a sign of hope. They've clearly added inflatable decoys and S2170....but no SeaGnat for Chaff or Flare. Could this mean they haven't picked one yet? That could mean Centurion from Chemring is still in with a chance which is a good thing.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

And whilst I'd heard of the trials and seen stills I'd never seen the video of Centurion launching a Javelin before..

Dahedd

Post by Dahedd »

Timmymagic wrote:And whilst I'd heard of the trials and seen stills I'd never seen the video of Centurion launching a Javelin before..

Ohhhhh, that sounds nasty

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Biggles wrote:Certainly a good looking warship.
DG exhaust
2 sets of up and down drafts. Asymmetric to minimize impact on hangar/mission bay space.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Sea Gnats are positioned just forward of the Phalanx and are hidden from view in the side shots by the bulwarks.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Jdam wrote:Also no room for deck mounted launchers? (I know its a bit redundant with the mark 41 but I cant remember if were in the original design)
Looks like they'd have to go behind the aftmost set of Sea Ceptor silos. But at a guess no one is planning on them going there, most recent designs from other nations have a sheltered area where deck mounted SSM launchers are located between the superstructure and stacks, usually to reduce radar signature (and for a measure of protection from the elements). For a vessel clearly designed with signature management in mind it would be unusual if the RN ignored the lesson that everyone else seems to have learned, as I mentioned in an earlier post there appears to be no mortar countermeasure's in the CGI. From the images we've seen there is nowhere else to put them apart from there. Given the design of the walkway around the bridge, with a clear desire to allow crew to walk around the upper structure and the mounting of miniguns and GPMG it doesn't appear there is space for them near the bridge wings either.

Does anyone have an idea what the square and rectangular panels are?

Looks like it has a good set of E/O sensors around, I count 5.

But unless the CGI scale is out it doesn't look like the flight deck is Chinook capable, looks more T23 size, I'm inclined to say the Merlin is out of scale as it doesn't look like it would go through those hanger doors either.

Timmymagic
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by Timmymagic »

Ron5 wrote:ea Gnats are positioned just forward of the Phalanx and are hidden from view in the side shots by the bulwarks.
I think you're right, had a trawl of old images and thats where the Centurion was positioned.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

You can just see the Sea Gnats in the overhead shots. Centurion is rather expensive so always a long shot.

I don't think any T26 design images have shown deck missile launchers. VLS have so many advantages except for cost.

There's an (embargoed) graphic that restates the flight deck is Chinook capable. Also that there's space for a UAV launcher ramp.

I do agree with you that the hangar door looks a tad slim for a Merlin but it has to fit! The graphic also says the hangar and mission bay are one interconnected space . So that means two merlins could be carried & operated if required.

I had the same thought regarding EO. Plenty for 360 coverage with decent overlap. I also think there's a 360 I/R sensor for detecting horizon hot spots that mounted on the main mast.

Most of the square and rectangular panels are air vents.

hovematlot
United Kingdom

Post by hovematlot »

Aethulwulf wrote:If the order for the first batch of 3 T26 is announced on Sunday or Monday...
I going for the class name and names of first 3 being announced at the same time -

Tribal Class
Hull 01 Ashanti
Hull 02 Nubian
Hull 03 Gurkha

What other guesses you going to throw in the mix?

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Towns:

Plymouth
Edinburgh
Swansea

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

I choose "F" names. F for Frigate. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_s ... E2%80%93F)
A was used for the Astutes., D for Destroyers (Daring class T45's) and E was used for Echo class.

Engaging Strategy
United Kingdom

Post by Engaging Strategy »

Navy News a while back indicated that the names would be related to the Battle of the Atlantic. No Towns sadly.
Blog: http://engagingstrategy.blogspot.co.uk
Twitter: @EngageStrategy1

Simon82

Post by Simon82 »

I reckon Towns would be a good idea. Something like Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Manchester and Newcastle for the eight. It would link them back to the general populace (tax payers) and also link them in with the whole United Kingdom.

Of course I could be completely wrong and they could be a new Flower-class... We haven't had a Petunia for a while!

RetroSicotte
Retired Site Admin
United Kingdom

Post by RetroSicotte »

Always been a fan of the F class idea. Loads of absolutely cracking names in that letter.

dmereifield
United Kingdom

Post by dmereifield »

Simon82 wrote:I reckon Towns would be a good idea. Something like Belfast, Birmingham, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Glasgow, London, Manchester and Newcastle for the eight. It would link them back to the general populace (tax payers) and also link them in with the whole United Kingdom.

Of course I could be completely wrong and they could be a new Flower-class... We haven't had a Petunia for a while!
As a lay person, I agree fully. This is the sort of thing that would bring more engagement with the general public, and would, in a small way, help reinforce the bonds that bind all four corners of the UK together

Jake1992
United Kingdom

Post by Jake1992 »

Why does each vessel name of the class have to start with the same letter, to my knowlage that's only been done with the T45s and Astutes.
The T23s don't follow that pattern so why should the T26s

Thorvicson
United Kingdom

Post by Thorvicson »

Jake1992 wrote:Why does each vessel name of the class have to start with the same letter, to my knowlage that's only been done with the T45s and Astutes.
The T23s don't follow that pattern so why should the T26s
They don't as such, some classes are named for the Alphabet, others classes have different common theme, the Type 42 were towns, the Type 23 were Dukes, the Leander Class were Greek/Roman mythological characters, the Type 12s were coastal towns, whilst the type 21 were A's, the Type 22 Bs and the Type 45 Ds