Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

Engaging Strategy
United Kingdom

Re: UK's Future T26 Frigate.

Post by Engaging Strategy »

Ron5 wrote:I got $20 on it. Any takers?
I'm all in. This is how Poker works, right? :mrgreen:
Blog: http://engagingstrategy.blogspot.co.uk
Twitter: @EngageStrategy1

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

hammond knows the MoD as well so will drive good oversight from the treasury hopefully keeping both parties (BaE & RN) feet to the fire delivering on time to spec and on budget. Babcock have shown it can be done.

~UNiOnJaCk~
United Kingdom

Post by ~UNiOnJaCk~ »

I'm rather hoping that the combination of Fallon and Hammond will have exceptionally positive consequences for the 2020 SDSR - hopefully in the form of a further budget increase. I'd like to think that Hammond, having been in Fallon's position himself, will be extra generous to the MoD.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Engaging Strategy wrote:
Ron5 wrote:I got $20 on it. Any takers?
I'm all in. This is how Poker works, right? :mrgreen:
As long as you forget that $20 is worth about 100 pounds right now :-)

If I lived in the UK, I would be bracing myself for a huge inrush of tourists. Every other person I know is busily planning trips. Looong trips. Fares are fantastic, exchange rates unbelievable. And sadly, nobody wants to go to France or continental Europe in general.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

But they've really just reiterated what Fallon said in the Commons on June 27.
"Let me just say to you that the schedule for Type 26 has not yet been set.
"These are ships likely to cost between half a billion and £1bn each, and I am not going to sign a contract for these ships until I am satisfied that they represent good value for our navy and good value for the taxpayer."
It's grim but it's not new.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

none of the quotes say 'Delayed indefinitely' just that the person asked doesn't know when it'll be greenlit. bit of a clickbait headline if I ever saw one...

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

A bigger question is why is Mark reading the Guardian?

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

came up on a navy thread on face book
according to that the design is only 60% complete

AstuteAssassin
United Kingdom

Post by AstuteAssassin »

Why is the MoD so incompetent when it comes to getting new warships

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

AstuteAssassin wrote:Why is the MoD so incompetent when it comes to getting new warships

Or why is BaE so incompetent?

RichardIC
United Kingdom

Post by RichardIC »

Ron5 wrote:A bigger question is why is Mark reading the Guardian?
Cos it's free. Times and Telegraph both have paywalls now.

arfah
Niue

Re: Type 26 Global Combat Ship [News Only]

Post by arfah »

Admin Note: This user is banned after turning most of their old posts into spam. This is why you may see their posts containing nothing more than dots or symbols. We have decided to keep these posts in place as it shows where they once were and why other users may be replying to things no longer visible in the topic. We apologise for any inconvenience.

jimthelad
United Kingdom

Post by jimthelad »

Just standard ass first reporting from the Guardian. I suspect the new CODOG / AEP arrangement is proving difficult to isolate. I th8nk the T45 gave off a higher 60Hz signature than planned so they may have a similar problem.

marktigger
United Kingdom

Post by marktigger »

jimthelad wrote:Just standard ass first reporting from the Guardian. I suspect the new CODOG / AEP arrangement is proving difficult to isolate. I th8nk the T45 gave off a higher 60Hz signature than planned so they may have a similar problem.

could be or BaE want the government to take all the risk and they hoover up the profits especially on any international sales. In mean time German equivilent (f125) has just been delivered by Blohm & Voss

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

The ghost of Pinocchio George hiding behind the one hand clapping, shipbuilding strategy. It's all Treasury dragging their feet. No ship is ever ordered with 100% of it's design complete and no design lasts unchanged through the build process.

West is the only one here worth listening to. The MoD is still in Chilcot mode - everything is fine and dandy here, doesn't matter if half the workforce gets laid off while we're faffing about deciding how many gigabits and which Windows release while the Treasury counts its marbles. Won't impact the price one penny. Just like when we delayed Astutes. Just like when we delayed CVF. Just like when we delayed T45. No impact at all.

Pathetic.

seaspear
Australia

Post by seaspear »

So what was tendered for the sea500 future frigate project just a concept?

Cooper
Korea North

Post by Cooper »

RichardIC wrote: Cos it's free. Times and Telegraph both have paywalls now.
If you want to keep reading the Telegraph you just need to delete the websites cookie from your browser each time the paywall notification comes up on screen.

jedibeeftrix

Post by jedibeeftrix »

Been doing that for years now.

abc123
United Kingdom

Post by abc123 »

It would be interesting to see any of the UK politicians buying a car that will cost them "between 20000 and 40 000 pounds" :lol:
Fortune favors brave sir, said Carrot cheerfully.
What's her position about heavily armed, well prepared and overmanned armies?
Oh, noone's ever heard of Fortune favoring them, sir.
According to General Tacticus, it's because they favor themselves…

PAUL MARSAY
United Kingdom

Post by PAUL MARSAY »

Dont think thee will be any progress untill a 2nd referendum takes place or is put to bed.

SDL
United Kingdom

Post by SDL »

as there won't be another IndyRef for a VERY long time... it will 100% be sorted Long before then, hell. the T26 replacement will probably be in service before a second IndyRef happens

donald_of_tokyo
Japan

Post by donald_of_tokyo »

Sorry looks like nothing has changed.
- For me "only 60%" complete design is not surprise. It will depend on "what design" they are talking about. If it is not the simple blue print, but including all the wirings, bulbs, fire-sensors, room interior, or even the step-by-step assembling plan and all the testing standard and software system check planning = ALL in ALL you need right at the moment you start building, 60% at this moment is not bad.
- When asked about money shortage, I remember Cameron said, "HMG is already spending a lot on CVF, Tides and T26 long-term equipments." In other words, at least as I remember, he did not say "there are money kept aside for T26 waiting for all the contract and technical issues to be solved". No, he never said so. So, some guys claimed for no money, other claimed for technical readiness. Both is true, may be.

Is this pessimistic? For me, I think nothing has changed after the SDSR. MOD clearly stated they need to order additional 2 River OPVs to save the day on ship-builder. Money shortage for 2 years was already "rumored" at that moment, which is basically consistent with SDSR. There is no plan to order T26 this year (clear), and maybe also not next year (my guess). 2 River OPVs can save the day for 1.5 years or so. So, it is consistent to my point of view.

So, nothing is new. Are there anything changed from that situation?

cyrilranch
United Kingdom

Post by cyrilranch »

Found this link on another site
http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format ... t-type-26-...

From this it was stated/implying that first 3 T26 will have new kit bought that was scheduled to be used on the T23's so that the T23's as they are retire will not effect numbers of ships in service.

"The Type 23 that we bring in to pay off has to be the donor platform to the next Type 26. We’ve bought new equipment for each of the three first Type 26s, to sort of get the class going, if you like; that is part of the long-lead items we have procured. So we will then have, as it were, a residue of decommissioned Type 23s’ equipment, which we can return and recycle, and deliver to the builder to fit into the Type 26. We won’t have to bring one in and stop it operating before we send it north; we’ve deliberately factored that in. I think that means that we will have much more resilience and already-tested equipment in that ship, which will bring it into service much faster than we’ve seen before."

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

https://twitter.com/Type26ProgDir/statu ... 3664072704

A couple of tweets from Geoff Searle.

My reading is that he's saying the design isn't the hold up. YMMV.