Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.

Which Anti-Ship Missile Should be Selected for the Type 26?

Lockheed Martin LRASM
52%
Kongsberg NSM
25%
Boeing Harpoon Next Gen
14%
MBDA Exocet Blk III
7%
None (stick to guided ammo and FASGW from Helicopters)
3%

Total votes: 315

bobp
United Kingdom

Re: Type 26 Frigate (City Class) (RN) [News Only]

Post by bobp »

Update on T26 progress...

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

I count 7 Bob's. Pulling out all the stops.

Jensy
United Kingdom

Post by Jensy »

Ron5 wrote:I count 7 Bob's. Pulling out all the stops.
Probably a composite image of the entire week's workforce.

One Bob per day to maintain social distancing....

(I can't decide if the BAE press team is putting these photos out without appreciating how glacial the progress appears to the casual viewer, or else are they making a point to the MoD of the "go slow" attitude being forced upon them?)

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Along with the lack of “Bobs”?

Poiuytrewq
United Kingdom

Post by Poiuytrewq »

Jensy wrote:I can't decide if the BAE press team is putting these photos out without appreciating how glacial the progress appears to the casual viewer, or else are they making a point to the MoD of the "go slow" attitude being forced upon them?
Meanwhile China continues to build the equivalent of the Royal Navy's entire tonnage every four years...

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Poiuytrewq wrote:Meanwhile China continues to build the equivalent of the Royal Navy's entire tonnage every four years...
They have lots of "Bobs"

Aethulwulf
United Kingdom

Post by Aethulwulf »

"The Canadian navy's new frigates will get a cutting-edge radar system that has never before been installed on a warship — a recent decision that quietly ended a heated debate within the $60 billion warship program.

The Lockheed Martin-built AN/SPY-7 radar will be installed on the new warships despite a furious back-room lobbying campaign by elements in the defence industry to convince DND to take a pass on the new system."
The debate in Canada about what radar system to fit on their T26 frigates appears to have been decided, despite a number of concerns.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/frigat ... -1.5822606

NickC
Donator
United Kingdom

Post by NickC »

Aethulwulf wrote:
"The Canadian navy's new frigates will get a cutting-edge radar system that has never before been installed on a warship — a recent decision that quietly ended a heated debate within the $60 billion warship program.

The Lockheed Martin-built AN/SPY-7 radar will be installed on the new warships despite a furious back-room lobbying campaign by elements in the defence industry to convince DND to take a pass on the new system."
The debate in Canada about what radar system to fit on their T26 frigates appears to have been decided, despite a number of concerns.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/frigat ... -1.5822606
The Lockheed SPY-7 AESA GaN S-band four panel radar for the CSC, understand its the same radar developed for the new Spanish F110 frigate, Lockheed and Indra entered a partnership to co-develop the SPY-7, Lockheed supplying the antennas with its solid state GaN S-band Transmit Receive Modules.

Lockheed have embraced dual polarization beams to move radars to the next level, normal pulse radar beams normally only polarized horizontally, dual polarization radars sends and receives in both horizontal and vertical pulses enabling much improved discrimination by providing a 2D picture. Newer weather radars use dual polarization so as able to clearly differentiate between rain, hail, snow or ice pellets etc, understand they can even measure the width and length of rain droplet to differentiate between light and heavy rain. With the new gen Thales Nederland radars eg NS100 used on the T31, Thales talk about their dual axis multi-beam concept, which assume their name for dual polarization.

The Lockheed new ~$800 million US missile defence S-band radar, the Long Range Discrimination Radar (LRDR) built in Alaska with its two massive 3,000 square-foot antenna arrays uses the dual polarization TRMs for its 2D image ability to detect the warhead amongst all the other flying debris of nose cones, 3rd stage booster, decoys? etc. Japan picked the Lockheed radar for two Aegis Ashore sites, also now called SPY-7, with its dual polarization TRMs as used in the frigate SPY-7 and LRDR in preference to the Raytheon SPY-6 AESA GaN S-band radar used in the new USN Burke destroyers, Japanese said the SPY-7 had much better performance than the SPY-6. Japanese since cancelled Aegis Ashore as the SM-3 missile boosters would fall on land and possibility kill people if it hit houses etc. Now talk of Japanese building more Aegis destroyers with SPY-7, a more expensive option than Aegis Ashore.

SKB
England

Post by SKB »

90inFIRST wrote:Have your own T26 before the navy does
Thats only the hull. You have to scratch build everything else yourself.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Fitted For But Not with.....perhaps its for the T45 replacement on a T26 hull :lol:

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

SKB wrote:only the hull. You have to scratch build everything else yourself.
As you know from my posts, the military fitting-out 'yard' stands at the ready https://fleetscale.com/store/gb/52-weapons
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

BlueD954
Singapore

Post by BlueD954 »

Sticking to news only

https://ted.europa.eu/udl?uri=TED:NOTIC ... HTML&src=0

II.1.4)
Short description:
MOD Defence Digital Deployed Platform Services will be inviting bids for the provision of water-cooled enclosures to house the OpNET Communication and Information System server nodes onboard the Type 26 Frigates. The authority is seeking an external partner to design, qualify, manufacture and deliver a water-cooled enclosure solution to support the installation of OpNET into the three Batch 1 Type 26 Frigates. If interested in this procurement, please contact us and we will inform you when the Contract Notice goes live. This is not a request for Expressions of Interest.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Looking at these pictures a quite sizable chunk of t26 stern is sitting outside of the Hall

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

bobp wrote: a quite sizable chunk of t26 stern is sitting outside of the Hall
Bring in the tarpaulins... it's winter, for heaven's sake! :)
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

Jdam
United Kingdom

Post by Jdam »

Interesting, I thought they were going to lower HMS Glasgow into the water via barge but it looks like they are preparing the slip way.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

Jdam wrote:I thought they were going to lower HMS Glasgow into the water via barge
I believe that its still the plan to use a barge. The fact that the rear lower hull is outside points to a shortage of indoor space to put it. Not very well protected from the weather though.

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

This tweet from September shows that the block has been outside for three months at least.

Ron5
Donator
United States of America

Post by Ron5 »

Looks like the back end to me.

Pseudo
Tuvalu

Post by Pseudo »

Ron5 wrote:Looks like the back end to me.
I think that the fin indicates that it's the central and forward section, maybe as far as forward as the hull begins to narrow toward the bow.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Initialy I thought it was the flight deck aswell, the stabilizer fin looks very large compared to the various pictures floating around, maybe its because its the lower piece of the hull with a few decks still to stack on top, it's good to see the progress.

I seem to remember reading somewhere that the front & rear hull sections will be joined up late 2021 so that will be a good milestone to see :thumbup:

bobp
United Kingdom

Post by bobp »

If you zoom in on the picture you can see the bottom of the Hull sloping upwards from left to right. I am thinking its the middle section.

serge750
United Kingdom

Post by serge750 »

Yeh i think your spot on :thumbup: looking at the finished CGI of the hull, maybe from below the Exhaust section to somewhere below & behind the bridge? with a few decks still to go on top,

Scimitar54
United Kingdom

Post by Scimitar54 »

Stern Section! Unless the “shed” is so small, that the hull has to be built in 3 x sections to be joined together outside. The earlier photographs of the hull taking shape inside the “shed” do not suggest that this is so.
The upward slope referred to with regard to the section outside may simply be one side of the “pitched” weatherproof covering! :mrgreen:

jonas
United Kingdom

Post by jonas »

Parliamentary written questions 21st Jan :-

https://questions-statements.parliament ... -18/138885