UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Contains threads on Royal Navy equipment of the past, present and future.
User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 6326
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby SKB » 05 Apr 2018, 00:16

Diana was not a blood princess and was never officially titled "Princess Diana". That was an invention of fiction by the media who assumed from watching too many Disney fairytales that marrying a Prince makes one a Princess. Totally false.

She was HRH Diana, Princess of Wales. It's a job title. Only a blood princess can be called Princess before her name.

After her divorce, Diana lost the HRH and was re-titled as Diana, Princess of Wales - because she was mother to two blood princes.

The current Princess of Wales is HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, because she's married to HRH Charles, Prince of Wales. Camilla does not use her Princess of Wales title publically to avoid upsetting all of the hardcore rabid Diana fans who may possess grudges.

User avatar
Pseudo
Senior Member
Posts: 1304
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 21:37
Location: Tuvalu

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Pseudo » 05 Apr 2018, 01:13

SKB wrote:Diana was not a blood princess and was never officially titled "Princess Diana". That was an invention of fiction by the media who assumed from watching too many Disney fairytales that marrying a Prince makes one a Princess. Totally false.

She was HRH Diana, Princess of Wales. It's a job title. Only a blood princess can be called Princess before her name.

After her divorce, Diana lost the HRH and was re-titled as Diana, Princess of Wales - because she was mother to two blood princes.

The current Princess of Wales is HRH Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, because she's married to HRH Charles, Prince of Wales. Camilla does not use her Princess of Wales title publically to avoid upsetting all of the hardcore rabid Diana fans who may possess grudges.

You seem to be suggesting that someone on this thread can't get the title or the name right.

Jake1992
Senior Member
Posts: 1679
Joined: 28 Aug 2016, 22:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Jake1992 » 12 Dec 2019, 17:21

Looks like we could be getting a new royal yacht, just heard on the radio that senior royals have been left £50m in a will for the purpose of a royal yacht.

bobp
Senior Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: 06 May 2015, 07:52
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby bobp » 12 Dec 2019, 18:01

Jake1992 wrote:Looks like we could be getting a new royal yacht


Just need to get the Treasury to cough up another 50 million or so. And dual purpose it with Dept of Trade, or Foreign Office.

Scimitar54
Member
Posts: 685
Joined: 13 Jul 2015, 05:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Scimitar54 » 12 Dec 2019, 18:04

Rather depends on the election result I would think. :mrgreen:

Jake1992
Senior Member
Posts: 1679
Joined: 28 Aug 2016, 22:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Jake1992 » 12 Dec 2019, 18:32

Scimitar54 wrote:Rather depends on the election result I would think. :mrgreen:


Not if the Royals fund it them selfs it doesn’t, but if HMG want to use it as well they’ll have to stump up some funding.

bobp
Senior Member
Posts: 1828
Joined: 06 May 2015, 07:52
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby bobp » 12 Dec 2019, 19:24

Jake1992 wrote:Not if the Royals fund it them selfs it doesn’t


Suppose they could name it Duke of York

User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 6326
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby SKB » 12 Dec 2019, 20:28

There is no need to build a specific new vessel as a royal yacht. There have been previous Royal Yachts that were RN warships, such as HMS Vanguard (1947) and HMS Renown (1916).

The title "Royal Yacht" could become a transferable one, like when the Queen is aboard an RAF aircraft and its callsign becomes Kittyhawk. On a civilian-owned aircaft, the royal callsign becomes Sparrowhawk. RAF helicopters with royalty aboard have the Rainbow callsign.

Jake1992
Senior Member
Posts: 1679
Joined: 28 Aug 2016, 22:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Jake1992 » 12 Dec 2019, 20:47

SKB wrote:There is no need to build a specific new vessel as a royal yacht. There have been previous Royal Yachts that were RN warships, such as HMS Vanguard (1947) and HMS Renown (1916).

The title "Royal Yacht" could become a transferable one, like when the Queen is aboard an aircraft and its callsign becomes Kittyhawk (or Rainbow).


I don’t think the RN has enough vessels for one to be used in this capacity how ever temporary, if it’s true that they are getting £50m for this purpose then to mean it’d make sense for HMG via the foreign office to add its own £50m and build a modern version, something like the design going around a couple of years that was meant to look like a modern Britannia as a homage.

User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 6326
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby SKB » 12 Dec 2019, 20:51

Type 23 frigate HMS Lancaster (F229) could be used as a "royal yacht", as the Queen is actually the Duke of Lancaster and the ship is already known as "The Queen's Ship".

Jake1992
Senior Member
Posts: 1679
Joined: 28 Aug 2016, 22:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Jake1992 » 12 Dec 2019, 20:54

SKB wrote:Type 23 frigate HMS Lancaster could be used as a "royal yacht", as the Queen is acyually the Duke of Lancaster and the ship is already known as "The Queen's Ship".


Can you imagine any royals or high up politicians staying on here with her cramped bunks, boards this like I said above I think there is more important things for a T23 to be doing this along with out side money being given for this reason why should the RN be lumped with the role.

SD67
Member
Posts: 81
Joined: 23 Jul 2019, 09:49
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby SD67 » 18 Dec 2019, 19:07

Personally I think 50 million for a royal yacht is a bargain. It's an asset that will last 40 years minimum, and quite apart from trade it can showcase British maritime engineering. It would be a nice follow on project for Cammels after the RSS. Finance it with a loan secured against the asset and sublet it when not in use.

To put it in perspective there is one RAF Voyager now permanently kitted out as a VIP aircraft and they cost I believe they cost north of 200 million a pop.

Jake1992
Senior Member
Posts: 1679
Joined: 28 Aug 2016, 22:35
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby Jake1992 » 18 Dec 2019, 19:11

SD67 wrote:Personally I think 50 million for a royal yacht is a bargain. It's an asset that will last 40 years minimum, and quite apart from trade it can showcase British maritime engineering. It would be a nice follow on project for Cammels after the RSS. Finance it with a loan secured against the asset and sublet it when not in use.

To put it in perspective there is one RAF Voyager now permanently kitted out as a VIP aircraft and they cost I believe they cost north of 200 million a pop.


I agree and this £50m left in a will for that purpose give HMG the excuse needed to put the other £50m towards it with out massive out cries of wasting cash with it being half funded privately.

SW1
Senior Member
Posts: 1458
Joined: 27 Aug 2018, 19:12
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby SW1 » 18 Dec 2019, 21:14

Yeah however voyager retains and undertakings its primarily military tasking even though it is kitted out for VIP transport. Not to mention the fact that VIPs are time poor and hence a/c are there only means of overseas transport.

User avatar
SKB
Senior Member
Posts: 6326
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 18:35
Location: England

Re: Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia (1954-1997) (ex RN)

Postby SKB » 18 Dec 2019, 22:13

Must admit, having a new royal yacht berthed at South Railway Jetty again would be wonderful and nostalgic.

I think it should be built in Portsmouth too.


Return to “Royal Navy”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: silabario and 17 guests