Black Puma for SF Operations

For everything else UK defence-related that doesn't fit into any of the sections above.
james k
United Kingdom

Black Puma for SF Operations

Post by james k »

RAF Special Forces Puma Helicopter. The RAF have decided that one merely has to apply a coat of black paint to it's Pumas to turn them into a Speshial Needs Flight, whoops! sorry (slip of the finger) Special Forces Flight. Although over 40 years old the helicopters have been extensively modernised and prepared for the SF role with several tins of Halfords matt black primer. Available for all SF tasking (if booked six months in advance) providing it isn't raining or snowing, or too cold, or too hot and it isn't lunch time, a weekend, a sports day or spotty dick for afters in the mess. No move before 11:00 or after 15:30 (13:00 on Wednesday and Friday) except on weekends, bank holidays, HM's birthday (both of them), Battle of Britain Day, Dambusters Day or medal parades. If out of hours, anti social or in the case of poor conditions services are still required one is required to contact the Fleet Air Arm, especially during pre war exercises, wartime and post war operations. :lol:

downsizer

Re: Black Puma for SF Operations

Post by downsizer »

Other than proving you are a tool, I'm not sure the point of this thread.

It was a commemorative paint scheme from 230s time in the far east.

ArmChairCivvy
United Kingdom

Post by ArmChairCivvy »

Joking apart, is it not a big part of the reason why Puma is still there that it is the right size for SF Ops?
- we have the other ones that look like civvy helos, but forgetting about that aspect

And the protection suite installed is top notch?

The only thing that one cannot change is that it is top heavy (prone to roll over on a hard landing).
Ever-lasting truths: Multi-year budgets/ planning by necessity have to address the painful questions; more often than not the Either-Or prevails over Both-And.
If everyone is thinking the same, then someone is not thinking (attributed to Patton)

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

Oh dear no sense of humour you must be a part of the RAF fetish club.
downsizer wrote:Other than proving you are a tool, I'm not sure the point of this thread.

It was a commemorative paint scheme from 230s time in the far east.

james k
United Kingdom

Post by james k »

I'm not sure about the Puma upgrade, was it good value? At the end of the day it's still very old and must have a limited lifespan. As for being ideal for SF operations there was a time that SF refused to have anything to do with Puma because of accidents, lack of availability, unreliability and apparent poor crew training (and no I don't have a reference for that). I don't know if that has changed with the upgraded aircraft but if they were always intended for SF operations surely something more modern might have been better value. I'm in my mid 50's and it shows, I could have a face lift a nip and tuck but I'd still be old and past my prime, just like the Puma really.
ArmChairCivvy wrote:Joking apart, is it not a big part of the reason why Puma is still there that it is the right size for SF Ops?
- we have the other ones that look like civvy helos, but forgetting about that aspect

And the protection suite installed is top notch?

The only thing that one cannot change is that it is top heavy (prone to roll over on a hard landing).