UK Defence Forum

News, History, Discussions and Debates on UK Defence.

Search found 142 matches

Go to advanced search

by Tiny Toy
06 Jan 2016, 15:07
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Dreadnought Class SSBN
Replies: 648
Views: 41209

Re: UK's successor submarines

I am simply not buying your idea I see. You believe, as I understand it, that if a nuclear attack occurs then (1) it will be using ICBMs launched from within Russian territory or bombs dropped from heavily escorted Bears, and (2) British intelligence will know about it well in advance anyway. Perha...
by Tiny Toy
05 Jan 2016, 15:19
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Dreadnought Class SSBN
Replies: 648
Views: 41209

Re: UK's successor submarines

I see, the whole premises of your argument is that British and American intelligence is utter crap, and the Russians could sneak a nuclear warhead into Britain and detonate it without being caught! Straw man. The Fourth Protocol suitcase nuke scenario was yours not mine. Britain and America are ver...
by Tiny Toy
05 Jan 2016, 15:11
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Dreadnought Class SSBN
Replies: 648
Views: 41209

Re: UK's successor submarines

Have you by any chance been marathoning James Bond films over the festive period? It wasn't me that came up with the Fourth Protocol scenario, it was WhitestElephant. All I have said is that in the event of an incident it is highly probable that blame will be unable to be immediately and definitely...
by Tiny Toy
05 Jan 2016, 08:18
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Dreadnought Class SSBN
Replies: 648
Views: 41209

Re: UK's successor submarines

I think we would all appreciate that the difference between Russia's actions in Ukraine is in stark contrast to if they were caught trying to detonate a nuclear warhead in London. You're missing the point, which is that in just about any imaginable scenario they are not caught , certainly not prova...
by Tiny Toy
04 Jan 2016, 16:31
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Dreadnought Class SSBN
Replies: 648
Views: 41209

Re: UK's successor submarines

So what you are saying, is the Russians will plant one or several nuclear warheads within the United Kingdom, detonate them, and claim it was someone else, or keep quiet and hope we think it was someone else. Certainly underhanded, but relies enormously on the assumption that British and American i...
by Tiny Toy
04 Jan 2016, 16:17
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion
Replies: 10019
Views: 667145

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

It always pains me to think that if the UK could have a truly first class set of armed forces if we invested a similar portion of our national budget in defence as the other Great Powers. But we don't, because for some godforsaken reason the country with the 5th largest economy in the world and a h...
by Tiny Toy
04 Jan 2016, 15:31
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Dreadnought Class SSBN
Replies: 648
Views: 41209

Re: UK's successor submarines

Agreed that drone warfare or terrorism is irrelevant to this discussion. However, one aspect of nuclear deterrence that has not been seriously discussed is the emergence of Putin-style hybrid warfare (since Russia is basically the only realistic state that we have our nuclear deterrent to deter). In...
by Tiny Toy
23 Dec 2015, 15:08
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?
Replies: 105
Views: 8481

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

So it might be that a ship like a lhd may be disarmed painted white with red croses registered as a hospital ship, advanced notice of ten days given to all combatants and be acceptable in that role providing it conforms with the legal requirements of its conduct as a hospital ship Absolutely. As to...
by Tiny Toy
23 Dec 2015, 12:11
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?
Replies: 105
Views: 8481

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

Fact3: A hospital ship cannot send those deemed Hors de Combat back to combat without risking its protected status. Fact3 is not a fact, in fact it's not true. Here are the exact and only reasons for which a hospital ship can lose its protected status (Article 35 of 1949 GENEVA CONVENTION (II) FOR ...
by Tiny Toy
22 Dec 2015, 16:18
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?
Replies: 105
Views: 8481

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

I already have, and have shown exactly where it should be if it existed. But it doesn't exist. It seems that this is an urban myth based on a misreading of Article 9 of the 3rd Hague Convention , which as I have said we did not ratify in any case. If cannot be arsed to actually back up your assertio...
by Tiny Toy
22 Dec 2015, 15:29
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?
Replies: 105
Views: 8481

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

From a mate who's still military. "The Geneva Convention calls for any soldier injured and evacuated from the battlefield to be repatriated via a third country." Whether your mate is military or not makes no difference, they can still be misinformed. Again, the Conventions are widely avai...
by Tiny Toy
22 Dec 2015, 13:13
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?
Replies: 105
Views: 8481

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

https://www.icrc.org/ihl/INTRO/195 Website says 'no' The ICRC website is currently down. However your link appears to be to Convention IV which is about land warfare (Convention respecting the Laws and Customs of War on Land). The relevant part of the 1907 Hague Conventions is Convention X: Convent...
by Tiny Toy
21 Dec 2015, 10:27
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?
Replies: 105
Views: 8481

Re: Should the royal navy have a real hospital ship?

There is a good in-depth rationale of why building a hospital ship would be a good idea here. Especially soft power projection of hospital ships is great.

It should NOT be operated by the RN. It should be operated by the RFA and funded by DfID.
by Tiny Toy
20 Nov 2015, 12:31
Forum: Royal Air Force
Topic: Airbus A330 Voyager (MRTT) (RAF)
Replies: 246
Views: 22020

Re: Airbus A330 Voyager (MRTT) (RAF)

SKB wrote:Added a poll to the thread. (See top ^)

I think it could do with a few more options instead of just "yes". For instance, whether to have separate aircraft for the royal family and for senior government officials, or whether it/they should be shared.
by Tiny Toy
14 Nov 2015, 07:54
Forum: Royal Air Force
Topic: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)
Replies: 1729
Views: 104112

Re: Typhoon

Lugzy wrote:
Tiny Toy wrote:Lugsy: sorry, how does that differ from us exactly?


Apologies TT could you give me a clue to which part your referring to please ,

The bit about the Gulf states using defence contracts as political pressure.
by Tiny Toy
13 Nov 2015, 22:11
Forum: Royal Air Force
Topic: Eurofighter Typhoon (RAF)
Replies: 1729
Views: 104112

Re: Typhoon

Lugsy: sorry, how does that differ from us exactly?
by Tiny Toy
12 Nov 2015, 17:55
Forum: British Army
Topic: FV4034 Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (British Army)
Replies: 1456
Views: 84969

Re: Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (Army)

mr.fred wrote:Well, our new transformational medium weight technology will use network enabled technology and an agile methodology will enable our effects based concept to open up a different paradigm and be a real game changer.

I have tea in my nose now.
by Tiny Toy
06 Nov 2015, 16:32
Forum: Royal Navy
Topic: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion
Replies: 10019
Views: 667145

Re: Queen Elizabeth Class Aircraft Carriers - News and Discussion

The latest NAO report unfortunately says that the Thermal Metal Spray application system isn't quite ready for coating an area the size of QE's deck, and that it is likely that only parts of it will receive the coat, with the rest using legacy coating. I should think the pilots will be quite intere...
by Tiny Toy
03 Nov 2015, 18:21
Forum: Joint Service
Topic: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options
Replies: 1217
Views: 54377

Re: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

I wasn't able to determine from your link which version this "W for Warships" was and is based on? I think that it was Windows 2000 based, but that's come from some dim recess of my memory, so I might be misremembering. That's correct. There is some more information about how this was ste...
by Tiny Toy
03 Nov 2015, 16:35
Forum: Joint Service
Topic: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options
Replies: 1217
Views: 54377

Re: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

Don't get me started on "Windows for Warships". A proprietary closed-source OS with well-known unpatched security vulnerabilities and a backdoor for a foreign government? Sounds like an excellent choice, not.
by Tiny Toy
02 Nov 2015, 17:31
Forum: Joint Service
Topic: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options
Replies: 1217
Views: 54377

Re: Future UK Maritime Patrol Options

Whilst the P8 is the preferred solution, was wondering what the cost of the high altitude delivery systems and the reliance on sonar buoys has in regards to operating costs. Would a MAD boom as fitted to the Indian version be more cost effective. As has been pointed out already in this thread, ther...
by Tiny Toy
28 Oct 2015, 19:18
Forum: British Army
Topic: FV4034 Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (British Army)
Replies: 1456
Views: 84969

Re: Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (Army)

Tinman wrote:Whats your suggestion.

Just stick to the facts as you see them and make your case on that basis rather than resorting to ad hominems.
by Tiny Toy
27 Oct 2015, 14:11
Forum: British Army
Topic: FV4034 Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (British Army)
Replies: 1456
Views: 84969

Re: Challenger 2 Main Battle Tank (Army)

Can we have less e-peen and more constructive discussion please? TIA
by Tiny Toy
25 Oct 2015, 19:57
Forum: Joint Service
Topic: F-35B Lightning (RAF & RN)
Replies: 4128
Views: 212097

Re: F-35B Lightning II (RN & RAF)

I would have thought the plan for refuelling would be to land them ;) that's why they've spent millions on making them easy to land on the deck, and if it's to extend their range then it's FSTA which we've spent billions on (this does rather undermine their stealth credibility though). The Harriers ...

Go to advanced search